Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to know how other basset slaves have trained their bassets to ring bells when they need to potty outside?

i have bells on the door but somehow i dont think i am training sadie properly....

O

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing the same thing very soon. However, I need to find bells that are big enough so that Murphy doesn't try to eat them.

·
Registered
773 Posts
When Charlie wanted to go out, I'd point to the bell hanging next to the door until he sniffed at it and made it jingle. "Good boy!!!!!! Now the door will open!" He caught on within a couple of days. I had a couple young girls for short periods of time who leanred the bell from watching Charlie. Now, we have Edith Anne. She's a very sweet girl, but a little dim. She has lived with us since August and is still clueless as to what the bell is for. She just waits for Charlie to ring it, and they both go out.

If your dog doesn't spontaneously sniff at the bell when you point to it, you can dot a little peanut butter on it.

[ March 03, 2006, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Aruuuu ]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't know about bell training, but when we hear a very large cat struggling with the cat flap, we know that Snoopy's ready to go out...

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Go to the top right of this page and click on 'search'. Type in 'poochie bells'- there are 5 threads from a month ago that discussed this pretty thouroughly. Hope this helps!

T

·
0 Posts
Clueless ... yep, that's Twinkie. Bought the poochie bells over a month ago and I ring them every time I take her out, but she hasn't caught on yet.

Janet 'n Twink

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Hi Twinkie's Mum- I put cream cheese on my finger right next to the bell- when Murray moved forward to get the treat, the bell rang. I praised him,said "Out", immediately opened the door and took him to his potty place- praised again, brought him back inside.The cream cheese helped him to learn that he should ring the bell: i.e. it gave him the motivation to do it.This method worked for us. Hope this makes sense and is of some help-

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
"The cream cheese helped him to learn that he should ring the bell: i.e. it gave him the motivation to do it.This method worked for us"

Very good point. Part of the training needs to be to teach the dog to ring the bell. There is no reason for the dog to leap to the conclusion because human rings bell before going out. If i ring bell human will let me out. First step in the process need to be teach the dog to ring bell.

Don;t even need to associate the going out with the bell ringing at first just need to establish the bell ringing. One way is again any food stuff that will stick to the bell, cream cheese, peanut butter, cheez whiz something the dog likes.

dog licks- bell rings reward with a different treat hopefully an even better treat. repeat. When you thing the dog might ring the bell on his own with out the lure of the food stuff stuck on the bell try and see if does. if The dog does ring the bell give it a jackpot, multiple treats. If not continue to lure. It will take some dog longer than others but they will get it.

When the dog is consitently ringing the bell for food treats now you can change the reward for ring the bell to going out. Dog rings the bell his reward is going out side. voila. if he potties reward that behavior.

so the basic steps are

1. train the dog to ring bell. Use what ever means necessary.

2. one the dog know the bell ringing behavior you can change the reward for the behavior to going out side.

Trying to train the whole behavior all at once in the training slang is known as "lumping" generally not a good thing. Behaviors are more easily learned by breaking them down into smaller steps and building on those step till you get the final behavior. Sort of like trying to scale a 10 foot wall You can train and train and develop your high jumping skill but success is not likely. If however you grab a shovel and start building step you will eventual get over the wall much faster. Even though in the beginning progress may look like it is going slower.

House Training: Ring My Bell!
a training article with even more intermediate steps. Lots of small steps but always progressing is often faster than trying to take giant steps and often running into road blocks. If the dog stops progressing take a step back and see if there is no a way to a one or more intermeadiate step to the training making it easier for the dog to succeed. It is much easier to learn by being rewarded for doing the right thing. You know what to do again rather than punish a dog for the wrong. While it may never do that wrong thing ever again there are only billions of other behaviors that will have to be eliminated also before the dog happens on the correct one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts