Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Josie got spayed last night. Did anyone notice ant permanent behavioral change in their Basset after they were fixed?

My Stepmom claims that a Basset won't change behaviorally, but I have heard differently. I always thought that dogs calm down a bit after getting spayed.

Josie is quite an active and mischevious girl!

Here's our little girl all sad after her surgery:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Our first basset didn't change at all after spaying, and really didn't calm down until she was about 9 years old.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Our Scully did not show any behavioral changes whatsoever after her spay. I don't particularly expect to see any behavior changes with Ninja either, who got spayed a week ago.

By the way, your Josie looks a bit like my Ninja:

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
The only behavioral changes note after spaying or nuetering are directly tied to sex hormones. i.e. same sex dog v dog aggression and marking and mounting behavior but even these behaviors are not always eliminated. somewhere on the lines of a reduction in these behaviors 65% of the time.

things like calm after spay has more to do with the age at spaying than it does with spaying itself. The closer the dog is spayed to being a a full fledge adult the more likely it will be slightly calmer after spaying but this is not the result of spaying simply that of maturity and the calming would have occured anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks! @Scully, Josie does look like Ninja, all black and brown in the face!

·
Registered
297 Posts
No spaying/neutering didn't calm either our first girl nor our boy down. They both got a bit calmer with age but still have their crazy bursts at times.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Didn't really affect Snickers either....as a matter of fact a week after her surgery she was at the vet's for her torn cartliage in her knee! She still tears through the house...but I honestly don't know what I would do with a really mellow dog! I'd get bored!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Aww... the poor girl has a cone! I'm glad Snickers didn't have one...she was VERY good about not licking or biting down there, but of course she was so drugged up for a few days...you feel so damn guilty!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey! Aww poor Josie. Did the vet put a cone on her or did you choose to? Charlie had internal stitches and didn't try to lick her wound at all so she didn't need the cone.

Charlie was completely herself after her surgery (She got it when she was about 4 months old). She wasn't even any more tired or anything, it was crazy. She was actually more tired/lethargic after one of her rounds of vaccines.

Best wishes to a quick recovery for Josie! She is just so cute, I love her brown/black in her face.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I know I always feel bad about the cone too. Our first girl Savana didn't need a cone. She tried to lick her sutures twice and we told her no and she left them alone. She was a very good girl in that aspect. Roxie well... she's a show dog so she's still intact so we'll see if it changes her in any way when we finally have her spayed. I doubt it though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No changes in Flash at all after neutering, except he seems to be able to go longer between pee-pee visits outdoors. Otherwise, he's the same ol' lovable, mischevious hound he always has been.

:)

·
Registered
878 Posts
My two sister Bassets were spayed on the day they were 6 months of age and I have not noticed any changes, but changes may be more noticeable with spaying an adult bitch, but I doubt it really as the breed is so docile!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I have had many Basset girls spayed at various ages, and have never noticed any difference in behavior afterward. Rosie, who is nine years old now, was spayed last year and she's still as crazy as a puppy.

Training and maturity are what will calm her down....maybe.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I don't know much about females. My Moe was a wild and crazy guy who was constantly in trouble of one sort or another. We had heard that he may calm down after neutering. He was somewhat calm (and whiney) his first day after but within 24 hours he was back to his old mischevious ways. So much so, that my husband asked "Isn't there something else we can have removed?"

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Just wanted to mention what a beautiful face Josie has. Love the colors - very striking!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts