Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female basset is 6 months old and the past week she has gotten aggressive towards our male dog. She doesn’t want to eat out of her food bowl anymore, she will turn it over and then take forever to eat when she usually eats pretty fast! She’s also start limping a little but she doesn’t show any signs of being in pain!! She will run around and play but then goes up to our male dog and is just really mean towards him. Any advice on what I should do??
thank you

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
She may be like this because she does have pain - if she's limping, she has pain! She may also be coming to the time she'll be having her first season. Other than maybe this could be Pano (just a guess) and if so it will be painful, I have occasionally had some lameness in mine around the time they have a season. Perhaps to do with hormones (again, just a guess).

Although I prefer not to neuter before a year, min., now might be the time to discuss her spay schedule with your vet. Otherwise you must keep her totally away from your male which means crating her, and keeping the crate away from him by 2 doors, preferably. Bearing in mind when she's ready to mate, she will be as keen to get to him, as he to her.

As for the food bowl - perhaps use a heavier bowl which she can't overturn? What she's doing could be she's trying to 'bury' her food for some new reason - perhaps to do with any pain she could be in and not being particularly hungry just now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My young lady came into season after six months, and she became very picky over food, having previously devoured everything. Her season has lasted three weeks and she is a moody little madam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts