Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I give Huck a bone, chewie, etc, he runs right out into the yard and promptly buries it in my flower bed. Can anyone venture a guess why they do this? :confused:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To drive us nuts! Mine do it too! I try not the let the bones go outside because I know it just means holes, but with their good ole lips they hide it in there.

·
Registered
12,938 Posts
Why do dogs bury bones?

Want to understand dog behavior? Think like a dog!: " Why Dogs Bury Bones"

Why do dog bury bones?

DIGGING PROBLEM FAQ
"My dog is digging up the garden to bury bones - how can I stop this?

Dogs will bury their bones where there is a surplus food supply, instinctively storing the surplus for leaner times. If bones are being given to the dog as an extra to the daily food intake or as an occasional treat, they maybe surplus to your dog's requirements. Raw, meaty bones are an excellent source of minerals and calcium and also aid in dental care for your dog. If including bones in your dog's diet, ensure the bone is the meal for that day. If bone burying is still occurring, cut back the dog's general food intake."

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Belvedere has quite a few "savings acccounts" as my husband calls them. My yard guy frequently finds them and piles them on the patio. There are rawhide bones with the knots on both ends, hidden all over the place. The only problem is that he goes and gets them and brings the nasty black stinking things inside when it rains. If I'm home, I can catch him going in and out and prevent it. If I'm not, I often come home to a pile of them either in my closet or in our office, under my desk. And dirt all over the house and he has searched for the perfect place to stash them.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Francis does the same thing with his raw bones. Even without his vision he finds a spot (new spot every time, too)buries the bone and will go back an hour later and find the bone exactly where he left it. Instinct is an amazing thing, isn't it?
But I just read the last link where the writer claims that the bone-burying dog needs extra love and attention. For heaven's sakes, Francis is practically suction-cupped to me now! :eek: How much more can I give him?

[ February 19, 2006, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

·
Registered
813 Posts
George "buries" treats when he's expecting a BETTER treat and I think he does it in the hope that I'll think he's eaten the inferior treat and produce the good one. LOL Since he's in the house most of the time, he "buries" treats by hiding them under the bed or behind a chair. He's especially fond of this trick when we're out of weenies and I give him a piece of bread. He used to LIKE bread until he discovered weenies. My mom's dog buries stuff to keep his pet cats out of it. He doesn't mind sharing his house, his bed and his water dish with his kitties, but he draws the line at sharing his food, and hides it from them.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When we used to give Ruby rawhide, (we don't any more because I had to save her life twice as she was choking), she used to hide from us and try to bury it in the kitchen. She'd actually try to dig into the kitchen floor (this was when she was a puppy). When she obviously couldn't do that, she'd hide it in the corner. If per chance I'd look that way, she'd grab it and hide it elsewhere. She'd eventually hide it under a couch and then cry because she couldn't get it out. Needless to say, no more rawhide as mommy/servant (me) was going insane. ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts