Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maggie came running in the house with her face all swollen. We called the vet. He said give her Benadryl, and watch her, any problems call him back. Well she was ok the next day and ready for camping. She sure scared us the way she looked. All is well and I hope she is done bee chasing!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
How any individual dog reacts is just that just like some people go in to shock and it hardly bothers others Toughy was a bee eater and hunter never had a reaction to a bee sting maybe he was so good he never got stung but I doubt that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ouchie!!!

Poor Sweetie!

My mom lives in a remote part of Texas and has 2 Giant Schnauzers. One of them thought that it would be fun to chase snakes, until it chased a copperhead. Got him in the jowls and he puffed up like a balloon. Luckily he was ok, but lets say that he never chased anything again in the back yard!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I spent a whole Superbowl Sunday in the doggie ER because of a fire ant bite. It was on his tummy, and thought it was a hernia or something.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad to hear Maggie is ok. I would take some benadryl on the camping trip, just in case. My boy Snoopy got bit by a fire ant on his back paw a few days ago. He was kicking his back leg out like a donkey (it was funny to watch, wish I had it on video!) I gave him benadryl too, and he was fine after a while, but what a show he put on, it's always drama with a Basset Hound in the house :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
And keep a close watch on her...the reaction to any thing allergic like that gets worse with each exposure...the first time Woody got stung, he was just a little lumpy...the second time his face swelled up unrecognizable...we keep childrens liquid benedryl on hand (might be easier to get in them in an emergency)......

Happy camping from one bee allergic basset parent to another..

Kristi (Woody-don't like no bees-Hayes' mom)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts