Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this web site as of this morning. I have a 4 1/2 year old basset hound named Beamer. I have spolied this dog to the point that he "thinks" that he is charge of me. We are working on that ... he knows the difference between good and bad behavior.... he growls when he is on his bed, when it is "bed time" and DARES you to touch him, he charges the gate when my fiances kids are at the house (dont know if I should be isolating him, but he WILL bite the little girl). The kids have been around for the past 3 years, and his behavior is consistent. He has bitten every member in my family. I know that may sound like an oxymoron but he is super sweet when wants to be and so affectionate! He is for the most part happy unitil he gets on his bed at night or when the children come around.
I do not use my hands when discipling him because I know that he can mistake that when you are trying to be friendly.. I typically remove him immediatley from the room, scold him for bad behavior saying "Shame on you!", use a squirt bottle or the fly swatter. I refuse to give up or worse, get rid of him. Can someone please guide me in the right direction? ... I am getting married in 6 months and I would like to stop this madness before they get her and spend every other weekend! I love my dog.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Christie and Beamer, welcome to the board. I have a similar situation with Woofus. He's a 3 year old rescue and I don't know what he's been through. He's a great sweat dog 95% of the time...and then he has his moments. He bit me once and that was when I took charge. I really think the best thing for this situation is to find a good trainer in your area. We are working on just the basics where I take control. For instance--
1- When leaving the house I always make him sit at the door and create an invisible barrier that he won't cross until I tell him "OK"
2- When he eats I make him sit and he'll look into my eyes, and waits till I tell him it's OK.

These are just a couple basics to show you what I mean. The best thing he's responded to is that when he does something good, I let him know. I don't use any physical ways to punish him, I always give him lots of pets when he does what I ask of him, telling him good boy. Maybe a suggestion could be that you can have the kids feed Beamer when they're around. This might help with him thinking they have some authority.

Hope this helps a little, I'm sure others will chime in with some great ideas as well. Good luck and don't give up on little Beamer :D

·
Registered
972 Posts
That is actually some great, right on advice from Mr Woofus's owner there! It's all about letting them know who the pack leader is. Who goes first out the door, who gives the food, who praises, and when they are bad if you don't want to smack them (lol) hold them down and roll them on their back so they are forced to submit to you. Dogs do this to each other all the time, and it's their basic instinct. When Beamer does something wrong, instantly surprise him, roll him over, and hold him down by his chest, preferably neck so he can't bite you and that is where they do it to each other naturally. Hold him until he stops struggling. Don't give up and use your whole body weight if you have to. This can be managed without hurting the dog. (This is actually what they do in police training when the dog doesn't mind the officer.)

This may seem extreme to some, but He has to know you are boss, and that he can't bite people. If there's any protecting or whatever going on, it's YOUR job, not his. He should defer to you.
Now, bassets are stubborn! (Can i get a heck yeah???) So he's always, always going to be testing this barrier to see if he's top dog again. He will need a lot of reminders.

You can also try the Ceasar -dog whisperer trick of pretending to "bite" him when he's not deferring to you. Snatch at the back of his neck with your hand and pinch with a clawed hand. This simulates the mother dog snapping at the young pup when they're doing something she doesn't like. This, by the way, works AMAZING on puppies. I did it ONCE to bowser and he did exactly what i wanted and he was only 7 weeks old! Of course the sad, dejected "yes, mom" face broke my heart....*lmao* but it WORKED.

Both of these methods have also done WONDERS on our spoiled grown beagle, when we got her 5 years ago. She's amazing now and can do about 15 tricks! And she waits for us to say "OKAY" before she eats out of her food bowl, she waits at the door to go out, and sits to wait to get out of the car. She was a stubborn TERROR when we got her. So, every little bit helps...I hope you are able to find something that helps you a little bit too! : )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts