Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Baxter is at the vet's office today. We brought him in, at the insistance of the vet who is also a neighbor and friend, because he's been limping quite badly - holding his foot up, and it didn't appear to be getting any better. He'll go out in the yard and end up running around with BJ and not appear to be limping at all. But when he walks, he limps badly. So we brought him in at 7:00 a.m. and the vet gave him a shot to put him out and we had to leave him there. The vet is going on vacation - out of the country starting 6:00 a.m. tomorrow, so he wanted to do these x-rays now before his substitute comes. He said "no news is good news" - so since we haven't heard anything, we are assuming that he's doing ok. I am so worried. He looked so sad when I left him - of course the vet said "he ALWAYS looks sad!!!"

How is Clementine doing? Any change? I think of her often.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The vet couldn't find anything on the x-rays. Both legs/feet looked the same. So, it's probably a sprain/strain from so much running around and taking him on long walks. He wants him not to run or exercise for 6-8 weeks! We're having a really tough time since he is afterall a pup. He runs ok it's the walking that's bad. He limps and holds up his front right paw. We're trying to let him out in the yard separate from BJ because if they go together, they run and chase each other around. :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So now he's holding up his LEFT foot!! I've been keeping him sort of quiet - can't always keep him from running around! Either he is forgetting what leg he said hurt, or he's just pulling my leg!!! <_<

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Have you read up on Pano? The symptoms seem similar to what you are describing. Many vets are unaware that bassets get pano - so you might what to check with him.

good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help. I had never heard of pano and thought it was just from too much exercise. I am printing out all the information you provided and will read it all tonight.

I agree that it is extremely difficult to keep a young Basset quiet. As for his food, I gave him Nutro brand lamb and rice for Large Breed Puppies. The woman at the feed store said that the food for large breeds slows down the growth process so that the bones don't grow too fast. I kept him on that till he was one and now he's eating the Nutro venison and brown rice formula for adults. The x-rays showed nothing because the vet compared both legs and sholders and they were the same. He didn't want to give Baxter any pain medication because if he didn't feel pain he would not be careful. I've been trying to keep him from running around outside, and have succeeded MOST of the time. I try to keep him busy with bones and playing with him in my lap, which he loves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts