Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you normally bathe your bassets? what shampoo do you use that works well? I read somewhere that some people will use baby wipes daily to keep them smelling fresh.. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I bath them "when they're dirty". For some of my dogs, that is pretty frequent, other seem to stay clean much longer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I normally bath Mattie when she is dirty. She gets more baths in the summer then in the winter. I use a oatmeal type shampoo, only cause Mattie skin seems to get red and inflammed (espically in the summer when there is more grass).

·
Registered
191 Posts
It is really hard to give mine a bath. They are soo heavy and they dont really like it. I wipe them down with baby wipes or sometimes I will take a warm cloth and use some baby shampoo and wash their faces and feet. I am now giving them a spoonful of plain yogurt every day and it has helped to eliminate the hound smell alot!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is really hard to give mine a bath. They are soo heavy and they dont really like it. I wipe them down with baby wipes or sometimes I will take a warm cloth and use some baby shampoo and wash their faces and feet. I am now giving them a spoonful of plain yogurt every day and it has helped to eliminate the hound smell alot!![/b]

my boy gets a bath once a month dirty or not. Usually come week 3 he is starting to smell fairly bad.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Spencer gets no more than 2 baths a year. He has allergies & skin issues & baths tend to irritate his skin. When I do bathe him, I use a soapless oatmeal shampoo. He usually gets a bath once in the spring & once in the fall before cold weather sets in. He gets his baths in the yard, so the temps play a role! He actually missed his fall bath this year, so he is going on a year since his last bath. Thankfully, he's not a smelly boy & if he gets dirty from being outside, I wipe him down with a wet washcloth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts