Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
George had his semi-annual bath today (he had developed an embarrassing odor we like to call eau de pee-yew) and he actually behaved quite well. Let me dry him off (mostly) before performing the Basset 500 around the house. He certainly smells better now. I used some Hartz conditioning shampoo.

But in the last couple of months he has developed the habit of talking quite a bit. He never used to do that. Now he just talks up a storm. He'll lie on his tummy on the floor and just rattle on and on and when he's lolling round the living room, he talks (to himself, I guess, he always looks surprised if we reply to him when he's doing that). Now, why would he start this when he never used to do it before? I know, I know ... he didn't have anything to SAY before. :lol:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I have a talker, to the point where she's mildly annoying sometimes, and a major PITA at feeding time. Admittedly, we've created this monster by responding positively to most of her vocalizations much of the time. :wink:

She was recently very ill--we were concerned we might lose her--for about 4 weeks. One of the things we missed most was her running commentary. And we knew she was truly feeling better when she got back to regular wooing/mmpfing/barking/howling. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a little intrigued here...when you guys say "talking" are you referring to barking, whining, etc? Our little pup Charlie kinda whimpers but nothing much else besides some grumbling when I rub his chin.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mean barking. He makes a wide variety of noises, some are grumbling noises, some are vowel sounds, (ooo and ah-rar, for example, to write them phonetically). Some are loud and some are soft and some have some consonant sounds in them as well as vowel sounds. And while he's doing it, he's looking right at me and when I talk back to him, he gets even more vocal and anxious that I should grasp EXACTLY what his point is. :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
LOL, when Charlie gets a little older and the first few rounds of his shots we'll bring him out to the dog park. Do you ever come into town?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Decatur, so I don't get to Springfield very often. Where's this dog park? We don't have one, just people parks. You can take your dog into them, of course, but a park just for poochies would be very cool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's called Rotary park, located just off of Rt 4 (Veterens) and Jefferson. It's really nice, there are two very large fenced areas for the dogs, ones for large the other for small. They usually have a small kiddie pool for each pen available for your dogs to run and play through. It's really great for socializing your dog with other dogs and people and great exercise. There's also a nice walk that goes around a fishing pond with a view of cows. :D

O

·
0 Posts
Murphy talks all day long....rarr rarr rarr.. i hear it in my sleep. When people call the house and say "who is that in the background" thinking someone came by to visit...nope it's Murphy O'Drool talkin up a storm!

I'll have to get my future DH to get some video and put it up for me since he is home all day.

I love it when he talks under his breath and his cheeks puff out. It's so funny!

And here I thought he had a special talent!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I love it when mine talk to me. I call Maggie my Magpie becuase she chatters so much. When we first got her she & I would cuddle on the couch when I got home so she could tell me all about her day.

Most of mine have an incredible range of sounds they make. AFter a while you can tell what they are saying to you. Of course, arroooos are wonderful too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts