Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor little Sophie is sick. Since yesterday morning, she's been throwing up and refusing to eat. This morning, she tried drinking some water, but threw that up too. So I dropped her off at the vet's office this morning on my way to work. The vet called me later to say that Sophie has an overgrowth of spirochete bacteria in her stomach. He made it sound like it's not that big of a deal and that with antibiotics, specifically, metronidazole, she'll be fine in no time. But after our phone conversation, I decided to do some research on the internet. Almost all searces for info on spirochetes led to articles on Lyme disease and tick bites. Does anyone have any info on this type of bacteria?
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
A spirochete is a classification of bacteria that is typically found in a spiral type shape. Borrelia burgdorferi, which causes Lyme disease, is a spirochete, but not the only spirochete.

Did the vet do further testing to determine exactly what type of spirochete bacteria? Another spirochete that can be found in the gut is Helicobacter pylori, which is thought to be a major cause of ulcers in humans.

You may want to ask further questions of your vet for your own piece of mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Our Jake had a spirochete infection last summer- lots of vomiting and diarrhea. It cleared easily on antibiotics. We think his came from eating bird poop :roll: We did adjust his diet a bit for a few days- chicken, rice... He did just fine-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info. I'll definitely talk to my vet about what type of spirochete Sophie has. He wants her on Purina Pro EN canned formula for the nest few days, then eventually Purino Pro Plan for small breeds dry puppy food. He said that he recommeds the small breed formula because the pieces are really small and will be easier for Sophie to chew and easier on her stomach. What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,902 Posts
Here's what you're looking for:

Helicobacter Infection

\"Helicobacter\" is a genus of spiral bacteria that amazingly are able to survive the severe acidity of the stomach.  We have known of the existence of such bacteria since 1889 but it wasn't until nearly 100 years later that the significance of these bacteria was realized.

Until the 1980's, stomach ulcers were treated with an assortment of antacids with the idea that excess acid had caused the ulcer.  In fact, most stomach and duodenal ulcers of humans stem from infection with Helicobacter bacteria.  Currently, this ulcerative infection is treated both with antacids as well as antibiotics specifically directed against Helicobacter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
Betsy...I appreciate this info. Seems this must be the cause of Reuben terrible ulcerative disease. The treatment prescribed is just what the vet ordered...flagyl alone didn't help so amoxicillin was added...tagament instead of pepcid though...pepto and carafate. It has taken nearly 3 months but it's been 10 days with no evidence of bleeding and he's finally eating well and gaining back some of the 15 pounds that he lost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,902 Posts
Sounds like poor Reuben must have felt miserable; glad to hear he's doing so much better now! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I wouldn't think a small breed formula would be necessary. There are several brands that have smaller pieces and if they aren't small enough you could soak it in water. Read the bag and compare the protein/fat levels to a normal dog food.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top