Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

With the recent cold spell it appears that my basset has come down with the cold. Besides keeping him warm in the house what else might you suggest to help him recover?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
With the recent cold spell it appears that my basset has come down with the cold.[/b]
What symptoms is your dog showing? Cough, Sneezing, runny nose, fever? Also how old is your basset? Probably worth a trip to the vet.. Coughing can be a symptom of quite a few conditions, some of them serious.

More details, please. Glad you've gotten out of the lurker mode.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I may be mistaken, so excuse me if so, but I thought dogs really don't get colds as we know them. I agree that a trip to the vet may be in order, could be a symptom of something else. Good luck.
sally

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
good advice. It could be Kennel cough, or as Betsy said, any nomber of things. Not to scare you, but Duke's "cough" turned out to be a symptom of Blastomycosis, which killed him. A cough needs to be checked out...keep us posted.

Sandy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good advice. It could be Kennel cough, or as Betsy said, any nomber of things. Not to scare you, but Duke's "cough" turned out to be a symptom of Blastomycosis, which killed him. A cough needs to be checked out...keep us posted.

Sandy[/b]

Well i took him to the vet on friday. His symptoms were shivering, runny nose, sneezing, lack of energy and loss of appetitte (including treats!!). Turns out the day i take him in, he decides to start eating treats. anyways the vet said to give him antibiotics (after meals). And to make sure he doesn't have coughing. jackson seems to be doing a lot better now. He is eating, waking up at 5am to cry and is getting pretty used to his treats only diet. The last one is going to stop soon. He only has a few sneezes once in a while. Over the weekend i took him to the dog park and he was running around greeting everyone begging for a petting. BTW, he's 2 years old.

The previous weekend (when he got sick) he was in doggie day care as my wife and I were out of town. My initial though was that he had picked up some virus from the day care center.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts