Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do bassettes carry their pups way high near the rib cage...and when will they start showing her due date is the 23rd of april

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the litter is small you may not notice any signs until the puppies present themselves. We have had a litter of one where ultrasound showed nothing. The mother's temperature did not drop. Mom did not gain any weight. And mom ate within two hours of whelping the puppy. Fortunately, my Golden Retriever did the midwife bit. My first clue that she was in whelp was when she was in the yard screaming her head off and the Golden had that big dopey Golden smile and the puppy in his mouth.

I strongly recommend having an xray two or three days before she is due to whelp.

By the way, the puppy that was born was named Oxboros Undaunted Courage. She is a grouping placing champion with a tracking title.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot i did call the breeder and she said since lightning was so long she may have to be ai'd. and i did take her to my vet and he felt nothing. however if shes carryin one or two that could be possible. she has gained weight and is sooooooolong i will try to post her pic when i get the know how...lol thanks and i love this web forum...i guess lightning may have no thunder after all...that would be her pup we were to keeps name...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had taken my girl into the vet the day before she whelped and the vet could not find anything.Manual palpation can be rather iffy.I think I have had as many false positive and negatives as true ones. I no longer bother with them

If you do mnot have an xray I hope that you have an experienced mid wife with you.

I have a friend who had a female Basset that was not believed to be in whelped. The bitch went past her due date without a sign of attempting to whelp. Ten days later she spiked a high temperature and was rushed to the vet. She had been pregnamant with a litter of one but was in uterine inertia. The puppy was dead and decaying. Despite a lot of effort the mother was lost as well. The vet costs were at least ten times what the cost of the xray would have been.

I am sure that if you search back through the breeding discussions you will read many horror stories.

Please consider having your girl xrayed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot yes i have her secheduled for one. she lost the 1st litter! they re- abosred back into her body. she had a drop of milk in one teat tonite and thats a good sign. she has till the 23rd of the month and the vet knows he may be called since c sections could happen...this is my last try with her. i am not into the breeding part of all this i just wanted a pup from her. oh well....as mick jaagger says "you cant always get what you want" lol
i will keep yall informed and as before i love this forum....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I had a bitch with a history of false preg.and uterine infections.When I was intending on breeding her the Vet put her on antibiotics before the breeding took place and did progesterone testing every week till we knew for sure she was pregnant. She had eight. As far as the length of the bitch, they can carry a few up under their rib cage. I helped deliver a litter where the bitch had eight puppies was to the vet got her shot of oxytocin,no x-rays. The next morning she delivered a decayed puppy. The owner ran her back to the vet,but she was already septic and died on the table. We guess there may have been as many as four puppies in her. Have her x-rayed when you think she is done giving birth,if she is pregnant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts