Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Murphy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First basset hound she is 11 weeks I have been feeding her 3 times a day 1cup each meal. She is gaining about 3 lbs a week. Is this ok tonight she was still hungry tonight and she had a 4th cup I know I have to be careful of over feeding her we feed our other dogs separately then her. We give her the bowl for 45 minutes and take it away after if she doesn't finish it ( hasn't happened yet) am I missing anything

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
45 minutes ism a very long time 10 minutes is more standard but it is better to go by body condition of the dog to determine if over or under feeding. Bassets and all scent hownd tend not to be good self regulators of food.

·
Registered
Murphy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
45 minutes ism a very long time 10 minutes is more standard but it is better to go by body condition of the dog to determine if over or under feeding. Bassets and all scent hownd tend not to be good self regulators of food.
Everything I have read says they have a tendency to over eat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our little treasure is five months old and doubled in weight between 11 and 22 weeks. She is a chunky monkey and enjoy 'labrador like' appetite. We mix wet and dry, and give plenty of variety. !0 minutes is long enough, take the bowl away then.Treats are a danger, we give apple, carrot and healthy snacks , avoiding manufactured treats.

How is the soft bite training? Our little girl has finally learnt how to avoid drawing blood.

·
Registered
Murphy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know anything about soft bite training. Please let me know she has learned not to bite hard from our other dogs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Puppies need to learn when to stop putting pressure on their bite. Other puppies teach when to stop, but sometimes puppies are separated before they understand. While they are teething, they are very mouthy and you need to teach them where the line is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your dog buddies are required to bite softy. I have an easy way to help you with this. When you play with your dog, let him mouth on your hands. You have to continue this till he starts biting hard. When this happens, make a quick high-pitched yelp, describing that you are hurt, and let your hand go limp. This will be helpful and startle your dog and cause him to stop that, at least for the time being. This will hopefully develop his soft biting habit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts