Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had at least three people come up to me and tell me good luck they have a beagle and they are crazy. I tell them he is a bassett they say I know beagles and bassetts have the same personality. I have alot of experience with dogs but I was never under the impression they were alike. Is this correct or are they alike? My mother in law has a beagle he is 4 and he does not act like any bassett I have ever met.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have had both and found lots of similarities:D

Both breeds are naughty,stubborn,have selective hearing,are food loving and like to do their own thing:eek:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see that I think all dogs are nutty for food my daschunds will work together to steal food from your plate. Lord knows my doxies have selective hearing also. I think I have been around very untrained beagles. I have found them to be hyper, jumpy full of energy even when I groomed them. Every bassett I have encountered has been a little more laid back . I thought how strange people's comments would be good luck with training him.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Beagles were lively but not hyper.They were more vocal than the Bassets but not really noisy.
I do think the Bassets might be a bit more laid back,but my Bassets can also be pretty lively at times:D

Basically I feel that most of the Scent Hounds share lots of traits:cool:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I just lost my beagle this year to cancer and that is when I got my first basset. The basset seems to be more stubborn. I agree in that the beagle wasn't hyper but always seemed in a hurry and more eager than the basset to do something. Both, and I mean both, are continually "in your face" dogs meaning that you can't do anything without them right there. The beagle was more fearful than Barney, who never shows fear but will just shut down. The beagle would howl at anything that moved, barney just barks at the broom, lawn mower and weedwhip. They both love children to the point where it gets to be a problem in that they won't leave them alone. The main similarity that I can see is that they are both "people oriented" dogs. I plan on getting another beagle for I really love both breeds...if you have the time for them, they are wonderful.

·
Registered
972 Posts
My two couldn't be more different. Daisy is strictly food oriented. It is ALL she thinks about. She will do ANYthing for food...so we've actually been able to teach her lots of tricks. She's stubborn, always testing who's boss, and not very loving. Can't use her nose for beans, and is a coward.
My parents bred beagles when i was a kid, and each of the three we had were totally different than Daisy, and each other.
Bowser is the most loving and loyal boy EVER! He's affectionate, stubborn, and couldn't care less about food *lol* Just depends on the dog.
ALL the scent hounds run towards stubborn and noisy though.

it's funny that you say people have thought they were hyper...i've heard that before too, and any beagle i've ever had has just not been that way.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Maybe hyper is the wrong word they seem more high strung kind of like my daschunds who are always on high alert even at 10 if they get out of the gate they will run like maniacs at full speed after god knows what. I can tell barney can be stuborn I cannot even get him to move more than 3 feet every five minutes on his leash unless my son is in front of him then he loves following him on his leash. Barney seems very laid back I don't know if it is because he is only 11 weeks he is much more snuggly than my other dogs who like to cuddle ut always feel rigid. I thought it was funny that everyone who had beagles were telling me good luck not people with bassetts. Seems like these people likedthe looks of beagles ut did not research their personalities and how having a scent dog is a it different than having something like a lab or golden retriever.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I took the Gator Girlz to a non-proffit clinic where they only charge $25 for puppy shots. The vet had to be at least 90 yrs old. He came in to the exam area and said, "Boy...those sure are nice lookin Beagles!"

When leaving they asked me if I wanted to schedule them to be spayed...Uh no thanks.....If the doc cant tell if they are Bassets, he may accidentally cut off their tails!

·
Registered
972 Posts
lol don't skimp on the spaying, since it's open surgery, and for sure good choice on not going to the 90 year old blind vet *LOL*

SO, speaking of weenies...or mini daschunds i should say...we got a 4 year old red one when i was 17, named Missy, and ALL she cared about was "the ball" or "the rock" or "the pinecone". She hated me, and hated my mom, and ADORED my dad. She's currently gone through a back repair surgery, and multiple mouth cancer and teeth removal surgeries...she can't see, can't hear, and kind of has been to the point of incontinence, lately...but she barks and hates it when people hug, she hates anyone pretending to hit or "get" my dad (she will bite you *lol* and yes, even with no teeth it HURTS) and gets all wiggly and happy when you scratch her butt! Anyway, my point was just that her personality was totally little dog syndrome, and she's always been feisty. (Side note, She's not in any pain or anything right now, and is a little princess with getting her food and whatever she wants. She's living out some happy last days really.)

OKay, so they have two other weenies. Ty, a black and tan JERK, that is completely neurotic. Jump, bark, jump, bark,jump, bark, jump, bark, jump, bark...pees and marks everything all the time (they keep a sweater on him that covers his weenie-wiener so it won't go through onto just about everything he tries to mark) always wants to play, will tear anything up, and just drives me NUTS. I've never had a dog I disliked more, and he senses that, so he follows the people who don't like him, and tries to kiss them ALL the time. The more you tell him to go away, the more he wants to be near you. And if you are nice to him, he's even WORSE about it. He's a rescue, and is probably about 10. My Dad feels sorry for him though so he won't let me pop his head off....

ANyway, last weenie is Nyah. She's a red, and built like a tank. Doesn't like toys, but loves to hunt. She sits up and has little black footpads she waves at you when she wants attention or food. She is Ty's sister (not biological) and they came together. She is so cute and sweet. Has had a heart condition and bad teeth (ty had bad teeth too) and a weight problem that is hard to control. She's such a sweetie though.

Okay so out of the three, we have angry little dog syndrome, crazy neurotic freak, and sweet gem. *lol*
I think just like the beagles, there are some things that are the same (hounds: stubborn, good sniffers, etc.) but really their personalities can be extremely varied.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol very true I have a red one very muscular she is pretty neurotic aout stepping over bags, cords won't take food from a fork but she is my dog soulmate. She loves people but licks constantly if you would let her I have taught her not to do this so if the person makes a little noise when she does it she stops. Daisy my other doxie has teeth issues and arks at everyone even when they have left the room and comes back in. They are terrible with other dogs if they are together. They cannot be walked on leashes together because they will go at eachother if they get nervous when walking on a leash. If you seperate them my red doxie is fine and loves people still a it nervous with dogs. I love my dashunds but I always explain to people they are little dogs who make alot of noise and think they are big dogs. The beagles I have met don't seem to have those naughty traits. Beagles seem more active like my doxies even as they age as far as running around the yard etc. Sorry I am having a hard time putting thoughts into words. The bassetts I have met have been active but with a mellow side.I was just surprised three different people in two days called their beagles psychos was actually the word more than one of them used. Kind of sad I feel bad for the dogs. I hope no one thought I was saying anything bad about beagles.

·
Registered
972 Posts
oh not at all! I hope no one really thinks i -don't- want to kill ty....lol
My beagles were always pretty mellow...more active than bowser, but i don't know..they were also actual hunting dogs, too. Trained and used for the hunt! But, when i was a kid they stayed outside all the time too, so really i never got to commune with them like i have with dogs now that i'm old. older... well i feel old : )

ANyway...daisy is fairly perky, but really not a psycho. she is obsessed with food, like i said, and drives me NUTS in that sense, but other than that she's actually a pretty well behaved dog.

Talk about psycho though, i've hardly ever heard of a weenie dog that WASN"T neurotic in some fashion. Miniture pinchiers are in the same boat, i hear. ALways that little dog syndrome and some pretty weird habits!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ha ha, great thread, welikes!!

our 2 cents... our red dachshund was not neurotic at all. very, very sweet like Worm. but on the other hand, he was huge for a dachshund. 24 lbs at one point, then we got him down to 22 lbs, where he was still a little overweight. tall w/longer legs than other dachshunds. so, he was overall pretty mellow for a wiener dog, but also perhaps 'cause he was larger.

Compared to Worm, the dachshund was much more eager to obey. Both are food driven, but dachshund was eager to please. Worm, ya gotta show him the $$ (food), before he'll do it! if he was a dwarf, the dachshund would definitely be "Happy," whereas that would be the last dwarf that Worm would be. Worm's definitely "Grumpy."

Worm is more mellow, stubborn, brooding, & disgruntled at times, than the dachshund ever was. Things we appreciate about Worm more than the doxy tho: no barking at people or other dogs, in fact, Worm doesn't even come to the front door to check out who's there. He waits for people to come to him. Worm is quieter overall, the doxy was much more a "barker." Also, the doxy woke up at sunrise, 5:30 or 6:00 a.m., whereas Worm lets us sleep in a little more, waking up at 8:30 or so. we like that :)

Worm-- i can completely trust around other dogs, small kids, toddlers, babies (we have lots of those in our complex here), & elderly people. The doxy, we could trust around other dogs & adults. But he would bark & become a bit aggressive w/toddlers, babies, & elderly people (esp ones who look frail). weird.

Worm & the doxy have much in common. Doxy uses his nose a lot too. We have to stop frequently on walks. He marked everywhere, including in the house. Both learned commands at a relatively quick pace, but i might say the doxy might be *a little* smarter than Worm so far. ('hey!!!') Doxy learned quickly how to get under blankets to get bones we hid under there. Worm still hasn't figured it out yet. instead, tries to 'dig thru' the blanket, instead of going under it. Doxy was more persistent & doesn't quit till he figures things out; Worm would give up pretty easily. Doxy was better at tug-o-war, strong jaw & strong grip. Worm-- well, we're working on that. the other puppies in playgroup always win with tug-o-war. Doxy-- very good at tracking games in the house. He had a very good nose. haven't tried w/Worm yet.

but otherwise, a lot of similar tendencies. curling up into balls, funny stretches, rolling on the back, rolling in poop, food-motivated, funny to watch!! :)

we crashed a beagles playgroup, that had 30 beagles at the dogpark + Worm. As a whole, the beagles were quite hyper, a few were aggressive w/each other-- lots of humping going on, and some brief fights/spats. Overall, it was not as enjoyable as when we accidentally crashed a Welsh corgi playgroup. (ie. went to the dogpark & all these corgis were there). They seemed to get along quite well w/Worm & each other. No humping, no aggression, no fights. Worm's temperament seems to fit better w/the corgis, and w/herding dogs in general, I've found (ie. collies & collie mixes too, & Australian shepherd mixes), better than w/beagles or with full bred retrievers. it's been interesting to observe, and we don't know why...!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
oh worm! i never would have imagined you grumpy! bowser is soo mellow, but also a big lover. Or a scaredy. always has to greet people, and give toe kisses, but is also very randomly afraid of people. Some people he just gets a wiff of and wants no part of, and will practically knock me over hiding behind me.

It really makes me wonder....there was that other thread where someone said they thought their dog may have smelled cancer on some people. There was a study just done on that, and dogs were able to determine the people who had cancer. I wonder if bowser is smelling that, and it frightens him!
I havent found anything that these random "fear" people have in common for him to be afraid of. Some have other pets, some don't...usually they are all happy to see him, but so are other acceptable people. Just weird!

Anyway, worm, i think it's funny you're disgruntled!

To bring it back home, my beagle is generally a bit of a coward as well, but is usually fairly easy going and happy, though she loves to sleep, just like me and bow!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts