Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a basset hounds and heard that they are really great dogs, does anyone want to share some information about the breed or past experiences?>

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
They are definitely not for everyone. If you mind dog hair, drool (some do) and often a houndy odor than not the breed for you. Best bet would be to visit some breeders and actually meet some bassets. Don't know where you live but you can find breeders and all sorts of information on the basset hound at the website for the Basset Hound Club of America I think you've got quite a bit of research to do but certainly worth the effort.

What breed(s) of dog have you owned?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a golden growing up, years ago! And i had a black and tan coonhound before. Both we loved, but we are downsizing soon and moving into the city, so we wanted our next pet to be a long the lines of a basset hound.

·
Registered
775 Posts
We have a golden now and three bassets. IMO they are at opposite ends of the dog spectrum. Whereas my golden loves to please my basset doesn't care if he pleases me. My oldest one especially thinks my whole reason for existance is to please him. Don't get me wrong I love him so much I went and got 2 more but it is a diffacult breed like Barbara said they are not for everyone.As far as down sizing , my Copper weighs 60 lbs and is very strong. My two little ones are 4 months and weigh 23 and 26 lbs. They are wonderful dogs but they do require some work and lots of patience. I would do lots of research and talk to some other basset owners. You will get wonderful advice on this board. It has been a lifesaver for me.

Karen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i have all the time in the world for a new puppy. so training and working with them is not a problem for us! we picked them, because height wise they are shorter. and in the city people seem to think big tall dogs will bite! :roll: It's kinda stupid, how some people think!
but from what i have seen and read about the breed, i love so far. just seeing if owning one is different than the information you can find to read about on the net.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Good idea to "do your homework" before deciding on the breed. I found this board before I decided to finalize my "basset arrangements" and had actually been looking up things online, talking to local people here ... digging up info for about a year.

I can tell you that even with all the "warnings" and advice and things I found out or had been told .... I STILL was not fully prepared for the 'stuff' that comes with having a basset.

They are so completely unlike any other dog I have ever owned! (good ways definately but not so good ways too).

I don't want to discourage you from deciding on a basset IF that's what you truly want and make up your mind to do. But ...

I would hope that you are fully commited to it in spite of the cons that come with the pros.

Bassets seem almost like having a perpetual 2 year old in the house.

They are stubborn, demanding, they seem to take forever to house train, they drool, they shed, they have a distinct odor ...

In spite of popular belief they are not meant as "couch patatoes" they need lots of excercise to be healthy, they can become overweight easily and all the health problems that go along with it.

Some have been known to have joint trouble, back problems, skin issues, allergies ... etc.

They need their nails clipped, their ears cleaned, their glands excreted ...

They are definately a High Maintenance dog.

All that aside - I personally believe my bassets are the best dogs I have ever owned.

They have brought me countless moments of joy during a very rough time in my life. Love is truly a basset hound.

Good luck with your decision :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's interesting that you say they are high maintence! every where i have look all said they were low maintenice

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by jennyed
It's interesting that you say they are high maintence! every where i have look all said they were low maintenice
:lol: You haven't been looking at this board then.... or anywhere else that I've seen anyhow. Oh well...

I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule and in spite of everything I love my fur-babies. I guess it's also a matter of perspective. I do everything that I do for my houndies because I love them and I barely think twice about it... for me it's not a hasstle or a big deal or "high maintenance" it's just part of being a basset owner.

On the other hand when someone asks "what's it like" I try to give them an answer from the perspective of what they may or may not be ready for ... it's better to be prepared than not have a clue and some people would consider all the work that goes into owning a basset "high maintenance".

Because no matter which way you slice it ... it IS a lot that goes in to the caring of them (well any animal really) but again ... bassets are unlike ANY dog I've ever owned (and there's been quite a few).

If you have your heart set on a basset, good luck! I wish you well and hope for all the best. And hopefully the love and caring of the animal will always outweigh the work. :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
LOL! I currently have 2 bassets and had another (ATB)- I would consider them low mainetenance having raised golden retrievers for many years. They need the usual dog care- nails- but minimal bathing- I usually bathe every 1-3 months depending upon weather. . They do need ears cleaned almost daily though- and I baby wipe them down on occasion as well. Health wise I find them as healthy as any other breed. They need their shots and routine check ups. They do have some heriditary diseases such as glaucoma- but most breeds have some illnesses that run in their genes. Mine love their treats and walks. They are as described... stubborn...did I say stubborn? They are much more clever than their human counterparts so require you to be ever vigilant that they don't take over the house. They are the best breed we've ever had and I am already looking for a another to join the family- Best wishes with whatever you decide!- Wendy

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
High maintence because:
Bassets shed, shed, and shed some more. They require lots of brushing and grooming, we brush ours at least three times a week,using a shedding blade and a zoom groom rubber bristled brush. You need a good vacuum to catch those stray hairs or you will live in a hairy house.
Bassets are prone to drool. We have had one that did not , and now have one that does. When Bassets drink those loose lips and jowls leave a trail of water as they walk away from the water bowl.
Bassets are prone to ear infections, due to their long ear canal and very long ear flaps that do not allow air circulation. So you have to keep their ears clean and treated with ear cleaning solutions. We do ours twice a week.
Some Basset do have a houndy odor, often depends on feeding and care of their coat.
Bassets are slow on the house training, and it takes lots of patience and don't expect them to be trustworthy at an early age. One of ours was at 1 and 1/2 years befroe he had total freedom in the house. A crate becomes your best friend in this process.
Bassets are not instant obedient dogs, like Labs, they have to mull a command over and decide if it worth doing before complying. They are very smart and will keep you on your toes.
Bassets are bred for hunting rabbits, a scent hound, and their noses can get them into trouble at times. They do need lots of exercise, but also love to curl up with you and snooze.
Bassets are a big dog usually 50 pounds on up to 65 or 70 pounds with short legs.
Bassets are not a watch dog. They will invite the robber in and roll over for a belly rub.
If you can live with all that, you will have one of the most loving,gentle companions ever. Their clownish ways and expressions will keep you laughing, and they are wonderful with children and adults. A great dog, just keep reading and learning and this forum is a wonderful place to do that.

Arooos from Bogie!!
You you don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
We are new Basset owners, a little over two months and so far I really haven't found our Basset to be much more difficult then any puppy would be. She demands a lot of attention, but don't all puppies? Yes we need to clean her ears at least once a week, but I have to do that with my Cocker Spaniel too. So far I haven't noticed much shedding, but again my Cocker does a lot of shedding also. I know each Basset is different, but we have been really successful with the potty training. The only thing we had to do different that I never did with any of my other dogs is crate her when were gone. I can't trust her to have free run of the house when gone. She loves people, she is about the friendliest dog we've ever had. If she hears voices when were out walking she will pop her head up and look around to see where they’re coming from and wants go visit with them. She does have some crazy antics, which are so much fun to watch, we have laughed so much since getting her. We just love her and don't regret for a minute getting a Basset, matter a fact some day I would love to get another one.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I grew up with german shepherds and have labs and currently have a golden, a basset and a bulldog. I love my basst to death I wouldn't trade her for the world.
The basset I have is my first let me share some of the pros and cons I have learned this past year with her.

She and the bulldog do not get along, they are both equally to blame here both have had their share of starting the fight. Lily, basset hound, will not back down even when told to, she has to be in time out to cool her jets or she will come back looking to finish the fight. They are hunters and will fight to the end. Be prepared to do a lot of training because this is true for a bone with the bulldo or one of my socks.
She and hounds can be this way in general, not just basset, but they are not above biting or snapping. Training is essential and start 'em young.
She requires a lot of activity and exercise to be happy and heathly and to save my house from chewing destruction.
She is independent as heck, could care less about us or the other dogs. Her nose will lead her off in all directions and apparently that affects her ability to hear because no amount of calling will get her attention. This includes outside or your kitchen garbage can.
They are big dogs on short legs, and know it, she will not back down from any thing her size or larger.
They have their share of health problems they are prone to just like any breed, learn what they are and prepare for them.
We are very lucky with Lily, she requires minimal bathing, loves having her ears cleaned and through much training will tolerate her nails trimmed better than many others dogs I have had contact with. Some are talkers. Lily whines almost as much as she breaths. She whines for attention, whines to go out, whines to come in, whines the whole time we are in the car because she can't see out the window very well. Not the easiest dog to house train.

Having said all of that, again I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. She's my pal, she loves to ride up front in the pickup truck with me and look around. She doesn't whine as much in the truck because she can see. She has her CGC and is a certified therapy dog. She is one class away from beginning ring competition. She is very smart loves to learn.
She is a great walking/hiking companion she can go for miles.
She is happiest with a chew toy, and is starting to calm down a bit now that she is a year and a half old. Satisified to her own thing without having to be under my feet or in my lap 24/7. She is my best friend and one of the best dogs I have ever had.
So do lots of research, find a good trainer to work with you and good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts