Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our three Basset Hounds, particularly Sluggo who weighs in at 75 lbs., have finally done it. They've sheered off our dishwasher door by standing on it and cleaning off the dirty dishes each evening. We need a new dishwasher with a REALLY STRONG DOOR and an ESPECIALLY STRONG HINGE. Any suggestions? We wouldn't think of depriving them of this pleasurable activity. Dishwasher Drawers, therefore, are out of consideration. Mizschill

·
Registered
616 Posts
Is it possible to put something under the dishwasher door like a small stool that can hold the door and help offset the extra weight? I don't know of any dishwashers with doors that are rated for basset weight

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LOL...something underneath the door was my first thought as well. Or maybe if they absolutely MUST continue with this activity, leave the racks out (don't push them in) so the racks are on the door, that way the pups don't have to actually stand on the open door.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Haha that made me laugh and I'd love to see a photo of Bassets sitting on the dishwasher door!!! :D

Are there any dishwashers that have doors with hinges on the side?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Haha, when researching your ??, came across this pic-- hope you can see it...!

Was thinking of heavy duty or commercial dishwashers. Some open up on a shelf and are elevated-- but then I guess you'd be depriving your bassets of licking the plates.

I'm glad Worm is not reading this post (I am censoring what he is allowed to read, tho it does not always work. esp when it involves girl bassets). These bassets sure learn quickly. I read the posts about countersurfing, partly relieved that I don't have a countersurfer. Then voila, one day, this huge basset head pops up across the table while we're eating. Now he is tall enough to check out the table surface and he does it frequently... bad doggie! Nowadays, we leave the dishwasher open, but it has crossed my mind that it is prob only a matter of time before he follows in your bassets pawsteps.... :eek:

Google Image Result for http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eDs_b1LRt6I/TA88MNJ8d-I/AAAAAAAAEkk/8JzmeBVqiVk/s1600/how.does.a.bosch.dishwasher.work.the.secret.is.out.jpg

·
Registered
437 Posts
OMG Woody has done this almost since day one....daddy tells him to get down now and he does with lots of growls and grumblings......

I used to work in appliance manufacturing and the only thing that may work is check into industrial/commercial grade dishwashers...may not still hold basset weight but should have heavier hinges for heavier serving dishes...

Good luck and here's to hoping they will design things with our bassets in mind..LOL:D

Woody and his mom

·
Registered
878 Posts
Haha... thanks for pics! My two are far too big to climb on our door and 33 and 31kgs would burst the door off!!!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
We don't let him do it anymore, but he is allowed to lick the dishes as long as his feet stay on the floor.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Doppler doesn't really care about the dishwasher but Virga likes to clean the water off the door while I'm taking dishes out. She hasn't figured out yet to get on the door. Hopefully she won't!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Winston is learning the "prewashing the dishes" trick already. 9 weeks old and he's got his front paws up and is trying to get to the dirty dishes. He weighed in at 13 lbs at the vet yesterday...a little bruiser. I will be curbing this dishwasher activity pronto!

·
Banned
4 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen I can understand you very well because out Pitsy did this for omg can’t even remember I think for more than 5-6 years. It is her favorite hobby so I couldn’t just take her away from our dishwasher machine. But when one day she broke the door, I was really mad( She understood my reaction and didn’t even stay here our broken dishwasher. Fortunately, we bought a new one last week and we were looking for a machine with a strong door, so that Pitsy could leak those plates again. We found ours on ianboer.com.au.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
melody after being in a wheeled cart for a year.

Vina

lulu

RAINBOW

MELODY again when she was younger

1 - 17 of 17 Posts