Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the PA beagle clubs is having a rabbit hunt. 3 man teams will be going out on Jan 20 to shoot rabbits. The idea is to come in by 6pm with a max of 6 rabbits/team.
They have never had any bassets enter. There will be 2 teams of bassets running this year . It would be great if one of us could win, but I hope the basset teams can bring in a respectale number of rabbits Most of these beaglers think a basset is too slow for hunting.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I live near the E-town beagle club- at my house,we're overrun with rabbits- maybe they could come over to my yard and hunt! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One member of E-town has a basset and we are going to be running AHBA rabbit hunts there soon. Tim lives in Annville and we co-own Hare Bawl. If you ever want to try running rabbits, he would be glad to help.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One member of E-town has a basset and we are going to be running AHBA rabbit hunts there soon. Tim lives in Annville and we co-own Hare Bawl. If you ever want to try running rabbits, he would be glad to help.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Well, maybe we could give it a try.

I run around alot on the State Game Lands with Murray on a 30 foot training lead- he likes being out there. He's never been with a big group of hounds like that though- he'll probably act goofy and try to play with the other dogs.I'm thinking they might not appreciate that-

But heck, it would be interesting to see what he does. Maybe I'll show up at that E-town event just to check things out- what's the date?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, we tried but the weather and luck didn’t work for the bassets. The weather started off by looking pretty good,however by noon the temp was 19 -- wind was a steady 15-20MPH with gusts around 30. Snow squalls were blowing through the area. Not the best day for hunting!!!

One team saw 2 rabbits and got both. The other team saw lots of rabbits, but got only 2. We weren’t the only teams to have trouble -- several of the beagle teams came in with no rabbits

Both teams had new people and all were impressed by the bassets -- not a totally bad day

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
One team saw 2 rabbits and got both. The other team saw lots of rabbits, but got only 2.[/b]
Sounds like the basset teams made a respectable showing! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts