Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do bassets shed seasonally? i have 6 months old, and she seemed to start shedding over night, and its A LOT! Will it lighten up as the seasons change or are they all year round shedders? :confused:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They can seem to shed all year unless you brush them a good bit.Puppies have several sheds to get rid of their puppy coats.When mine start the seasonal shed I dump them in the bath tub and give them several,I said ,several, good scrubbings to get the loose hair . I skip a day then do it again,I would estimate I get about 85% of the shedding hair out. There are many products like hound gloves,sheddin'blades,to get the loose hair but this is the fastest way I've found.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just gave our three hounds a good scrubbing today and two of them are starting to shed like mad. The weather here is getting warmer and so I think it's time for the seasonal shed. Mine do tend to shed year around but the quantity is much less than the big seasonal sheds. I took them out of the porch today and gave them a good rub down after their baths and just let the wind carry all the extra hair away!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Basset Hounds shed a lot year round, and twice a year they shed even more.
Curry is starting to blow coat, so I'm sure the rest will soon start as well.
I like to use a Zoom Groom to scrub them in the bath, it really helps to loosen and remove the hair.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Rubber gloves, like the kind you wear for washing dishes, are terrific for removing hair too, Opus LOVES a good gloving! Actually it's a beautiful sunny day here in Dublin, I might bring him outside and rub him senseless.:)

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Basset Hounds shed a lot year round, and twice a year they shed even more.
my conservative estimate is that bsset loose the equivelent of their coat once a week and during the seasonal shed it is once a day at a minimium.

the furminator is general regarded as the best tool for containing the amount of loos hair deposited. bathing also helps but care must be taken to take into acount the skin type of the actual dog to prevent other problems.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think that Bassets sleep so much so their bodies can put all its energy toward making new hair to lose. It's almost unbelievable how much they shed--you'd think they'd have bald spots!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I gave up trying to fight all the dog hair. No amount of bathing or brushing have solved my Porter's shedding problem. I think its just the season and I have accepted the fact dog hair will be on my stuff at home. Pledge fabric sweeper helps a bit to remove the hair from my sofa but it can't remove all of it. Swiffer is my best friend and I swiff every day.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I find this type of rubber palm pad to be good for getting out loose hair and it's more gentle than the metal brushes!

Click to enlarge it to see it more clearly. Your hand fits into the rubber 'strap' and is held firmly in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts