Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started a running program and I thought it would be fun to run with Doppler. Well, this morning didn't go too well. He was sniffing everything, which I understand bassets do. But my question is this, do you think he'll eventually figure out that we're out there to run or will he always want to go on these side sniffing adventures?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I dont know .... being a sniffer myself .... may I suggest a running partner with a sausage attached to a belt.... then Doppler will run after the sausage -- FOR SURE!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I dont know .... being a sniffer myself .... may I suggest a running partner with a sausage attached to a belt.... then Doppler will run after the sausage -- FOR SURE!
HaHaHa oh Ha haha that's a good one. Or maybe you could get a rabbit and train it to run ahead. It might be easier than training a basset.

But really on a serious note if you keep trying he just might get it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LOL...not so sure it's gonna happen. I haven't been running with Annie but I have tried to get her to do some fast fitness type walking for the past year. I have since given up on that fantasy, she sniffs, it's just what she does. When we do manage to get more than 5 feet without sniffing something you can be sure that I'm telling her what a good girl she is.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My little Buttercup loves to run! In fact when she goes flat Bassett that's the only way I can get her up on her 4 paws. But just like a human I'd start slow & short & progress your mileage & speed gradually to prevent injury. We usually walk & sniff one way as a "warm up" & run the other.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took Watson on a run one time. We made it to the end of our street and he went flat basset in someone's yard. I had to physically carry him home. So when I run, he stays home. Usually my running loop takes me by my house toward the end, so I grab Watson and walk him during my cooldown period. It works out pretty well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My boys will run around the yard with Woody but when they get really going he lets out this yelping bark...didn't figure out what it was till I say a video of a pack of bassets in a hunt....it was their tracking, pack yelp/bark.:eek:

If this would happen with you, just don't go out to early or the neighbors my object:p

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
do you think he'll eventually figure out that we're out there to run or will he always want to go on these side sniffing adventures?
if you were to take him to a running around the back yard or a high school tract there would be far less sniffing adventures why is that?

Sniff and discoving the world through scent is a fun thing for the average basset. More sterile enviroments like a track or the back yard offer fewer distractions and less reward for sniffing for the dog hence less sniff. So what does thus have to do with the question,? It is quite simple Sniffing is fun for the dog , Running with it head up not so much so until and unless you can answer this simple question satisfactory to the dog you will alway have a problem/ Why should I run with You? that is what is in it for the dog do to what you want him to do?

see Hard To Train
A look at "difficult-to-train" breeds and the reality of what shapes these canine minds. [/quote]

I suggest a running partner with a sausage attached to a belt,
Or maybe you could get a rabbit and train it to run ahead

While amusing they are also answer to the question why run that many basset are likely to find acceptable. You just need to find one that both works for you and the dog,.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
When we do manage to get more than 5 feet without sniffing something you can be sure that I'm telling her what a good girl she is.
Which obviously is not working that well What has worked for me is using sniffing as a reward that walik 5 feet reard go sniff and let the dog go where it wants Walk 6 feet reward with sniff time etc, The thing is make the niff more rewarding then the it streales sniff time no pulling goe where it want and give it time to finish when the dog is ready to move on then rengage the walk.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Melikes to runs a lot!! my person says she'll try to make a video of it.

k, but i only run when there's a "bunny" to chase (a dog that wants to be the bunny)... i'm not sure i would run with my person (she's so boring) when there are SOOO many nice sniffs to smell in the neighborhood.

yeah, mayb a track or field Dopplah....
--Worm

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am jealous of all you with your sniffing bassets. Flash wants to run on our walks. I usually end up in a very fast walk because he will pull pretty good once he gets going. Occasionally he will slow down to sniff but he never really stops (except at fire hydrants!)

Oh, something that helps make flash run more anyway-make sure you have another person in front of the dog then they seem to think they must keep up! My 4 year old ALWAYS tries to get ahead of flash and then it is a run lol. Maybe it is just the puppy in him but I was hoping for a nice relaxing walk once in awhile!

·
Registered
972 Posts
that's the only way i can keep bowser going is if my husband walks ahead of us! he still just stops abruptly and lies down, rarely now, but it does happen *lol* oh and i mean DOWN all the way on the ground head down ears out!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good luck with that! Porter can't even walk fast enough, he'll never run, not in a million years...unless he sees a piece of pizza on the street. hahahah

1 - 20 of 23 Posts