Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you leave your Bassets outside when you are gone? I am paranoid if I do someone would steal them. We live in a pretty secluded area and you can’t see them from the road, but still makes me nervous.

Do you always leave your Bassets in the house when you leave?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Always! When a dog is left outside alone, sometimes the word gets out and there is every chance he/she could be stolen to order, or just a chance theft to be used for goodness knows what. And then there's the noise one left outside might make regardless of whether any close neighbours could be some way off.

No way would I ever consider leaving any of my hounds outside.

I don't allow mine the free run of the house however. Our current two are confined to the kitchen with a baby gate across the door so they don't have to be actually shut in behind the kitchen door.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always! When a dog is left outside alone, sometimes the word gets out and there is every chance he/she could be stolen to order, or just a chance theft to be used for goodness knows what. And then there's the noise one left outside might make regardless of whether any close neighbours could be some way off.

No way would I ever consider leaving any of my hounds outside.

I don't allow mine the free run of the house however. Our current two are confined to the kitchen with a baby gate across the door so they don't have to be actually shut in behind the kitchen door.
Thanks for the response and many good points. I am struggling with how to leave them in the house. They use the bathroom with no remorse if we aren’t home. I don’t want to leave them in their crate for long period and of time either.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Would never leave ours outside...ours get free range inside with the exception of a few rooms shut off....not sure what you have going on....are the dogs housebroken and old enough to "hold it" for the period of time you are asking? Or are you gone REALLY long periods of time when no dog could hold it? Or do you have separation anxiety issues going on.....a bunch of different issues here to sort out.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would never leave ours outside...ours get free range inside with the exception of a few rooms shut off....not sure what you have going on....are the dogs housebroken and old enough to "hold it" for the period of time you are asking? Or are you gone REALLY long periods of time when no dog could hold it? Or do you have separation anxiety issues going on.....a bunch of different issues here to sort out.....
My pups are about 5 and 8 months old. They are both crate trained, but not fully house broken. They both use the bathroom if we aren’t in the room (sometimes when we are in the room). The older one does better, and they are both slowly getting better, but they would both go if the urge hits them and we aren't around. With new changes to my wife and I’s work schedules, we will be gone 9-10 hours a day. I really don’t want to crate them all day. I have an outside dog kennel (10x10) but that obviously isn’t safe to leave them outside. We have a basement where they couldn’t really do any harm. It’s cinderblock walls and concrete floors. I would just have poop and pee to clean up every day, but that might be the best option.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
We have a basement where they couldn’t really do any harm. It’s cinderblock walls and concrete floors. I would just have poop and pee to clean up every day, but that might be the best option.
What would bother me about this is the concrete floors!! Urine especially would surely soak into such flooring, unless treated so you can wipe it easily? Again kitchen so they don't feel quite so apart from the family, even if the family isn't home!! Most kitchen floor would be tiled, or lino at least?

But medical problem apart, these two really should be able to hold for up to 4 hours, if left on a regular basis. But not for 9 hours! I had to go back to work at one point and was away for that length of time, 3 days a week. I started coming home at lunchtime, but given I only had 1 hour, and the travelling distance involved, it really only meant I was home long enough to let them out, and then go again. I felt I was doing more harm than good so with them in different areas of the house, I'd lay newspaper in the kitchen and newspaper over plastic sheeting in the extension. That had to be the situation but as soon as I could stop working again, I did! Trouble was as they got used to me not being home, or not knowing when I'd turn up, if we went out of an evening, they'd not be clean indoors and that took time to sort out.

Can you have somebody come in to at least let them out during your time away, or into a good day creche? Clearly you can't expect them to hold that long, or be stuck in crates either!!

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
If you have room in the basement, why not build a secure, safe, cleanable kennel area for them with a potty area?

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
I agree at that age they will probably just play with and chew on the pads.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
we use a potty patch [artificial grass} which is about as close as you get to the real thing so if later on or in other situations you have less of an issue with accident and an easier transition to outside potty only if desired at a later date.

with the growing number of AR WACKO'S and their preponderance to populate animal control/animal welfare enforcement, Having the dogs out side where they can be seen from the street give them the opportunity for warrantless seizure. they can not do that when inside your house.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts