Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I've been looking at this site and the forums since I got Lily (She is 10 months now), but never posted.

Anyway....

We live in the northeast so it tends to get cold in the winter. My question is should i be concerned with my dog getting cold in the house or outside? Do i need to supplement her bed with a blanket or should i be tucking her in?

Also at any point, if it's snowing or what not, should she need to have a sweater, jacket or booties on?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I live in Ontario. My dogs do not need coats, booties or other accoutrements, nor do they need to be tucked in (although some do choose to sleep under the covers). If the house is comfortable for you, it will be fine for the dog. Only when it's extremely cold do they find it uncomfortable to walk outside, and then we limit outside time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I live in the northeast as well (Boston to be exact) and I was wondering about the same thing. I bought Porter a doggie sweater just in case since it is starting to get a bit chilly now. I have also read that some basset owners make these ear glove/protector things that keeps the long basset ears warm in the winter when they go outside. (I read this online so I am not sure about how necessary it is, but they said since the basset ears are so massive, they lose a lot of heat and the ears can get frost bites).

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Booties can be a good idea though most dogs hate them if the dog is walking on side walks etc frequently that have a lot of ice melt, salt etc applied to them it can be very irratating,

A Lot has to do with individual dogs and aclimation. My mothers basset who general winters over in florida is much less cold tolerant than mine. Fischer my harrier who general spends more time outside than my bassets regardless of the weather conditions has the least amount of coat length, density and absolutely no under coat. He is often chilled as indication of shivering but he still goes out there on his own so it is not a deterent.

Personal I find the basset much more heat intollerant than cold intollerant. As a matter of fact the cold weather or being out in the cold increases their activity.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with Mikey T about the heat. My hound was much more uncomfortable when the temp hit 90 and above than 32 or below. She loved the cooler weather and especially snow but we kept her off the roads and walkways that were salted. We did put a smart looking red sweater on her but that was just for us! When she was older, she wore a rain coat b/c she demanded her walks no matter what the weather and she seemed to mind the wet damp rain.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Coats that fit?

So we have one of the cold intolerant shivering bassets. We should have named her Brutus I guess versus Princess Buttercup. Anyhow, we're headed to colder weather and would like to get her a coat. Mostly so she can keep up with her climatized farm dog buddies. Has anyone found a coat that's not only long enough but also works without showing too much chesthair? ;)

Thanks so much,
Shelly

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Actual coat length is not a problem Contrary to popular belief basset are not a longed backed but but rather simply a short legged on. The have a comparable chest size vs back length to most large or giant breed dogs and since coats have no leg basset unusual demension are not a problem. The only sizing problem is that most buyer of such items own small dogs so the number and variety of coats available to larger breeds tend to be small.

If yoy want the chest covered you need a coat with the velcro fastener along the back this allows the belly and chest to be fully covered wheras most coats only cover the back with a couple of straps acrosss the belly to hold them in place.

now if cost is not an object check out the coats from clean run they are of superiour quality than you will find in a pet store or most online retailers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It never occurred to me to get Fergus a winter coat, but we live in Portland, Oregon and he has a rain jacket. It's more for our benefit than his, though he's not crazy about rain. Just keeps him drier and less stinky- now I just need one for his belly! A walk around the block and he's dry on top, but muddy as all heck underneath. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lollypop has walked almost every day in the woods with temps falling as low as 5 degree's fahrenheit. She has never been uncomfortable. Only hot weather seems to get her bothered. Granted, she is exercising when we are out and she doesn't spend time in the freezing cold alone. On another note, when I was much younger, our basset Dragette used to shiver to be let in the house. Were pretty sure it was a clever ruse. Worked every time!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bogie grew up in South Dakota, and we did put a coat on him when it got below 10 degrees if going for longer walks. He loved the cold and snow and for quick outside potty breaks "nothing" even when well below zero. He would just race around plowing through the snow having a ball. If it got extremely cold as 20 below etc. he would dance when the cold ice and snow bothered his feet. We tried boots, which he hated, and he would not move with them on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
OK, so I have contrary information to my previous post about Lollypop and cold. Thanksgiving night, she, and 3 other dogs were in the back yard while we were all inside. They were all out there for a few hours in roughly 40 degree weather. When we got home, and she assumed her favorite place on the couch, we found she shivered for about 15 minutes before she calmed down and slept. So I guess she CAN get cold, and I suppose it is proportional to the amount of energy she is expending while she is outside?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a few years late to this thread, but my Basset was left outside for days in the Georgia winter by her former owner (my former S.O.) and never got sick or anything. She'd curl up on a blanket and sleep.

Although now that I have her she seems to really like the couch lol

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
My dogs do not need coats, booties or other accoutrements, nor do they need to be tucked in
:D :D :D :D. Cooler over this way but ours still do not get out of netural till September!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

This was our first Basset, Bubba in his coat and winter boots in South Dakota. He hated the boots at first but learned his paws didn't hurt when it got down to -20 and tolerated them. We put his coat on when it got down to 10 degrees and the boots only for cold winter walks. They protected his paws from the cold and the salt mixture used on the streets and walks.

Bogie hated the boots and would never wear them. Now he's a Memphis dog and doesn't need anything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts