Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone every flown their basset to a destination? i might be relocating to dallas or new mexico. i cant see driving that distance with a car sick basset.
any recommendations?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have, I flew Opus and our three cats from Dublin to Barcelona. You need a large crate, with enough room for your dog to turn around- I don't know if there are special innoculations need for inter state transportations but check that out too. For us all our animals needed innoculations and papers to travel, and it is even more difficult for returning, we have had to have them microchipped, passports done up, a license issued from the department of agriculture...eeek.
My advice is not to feed your dog before traveling and make sure he has been taken out that morning for a walk. It was funny in BCN, we were waiting at the conveyor belt for our luggage and the animals to arrive and they did, cat, cat, large basset, bag, cat, very funny.

M

·
0 Posts
We drove from Pennsylvania to Florida when we relocated with Maggie Mae. She was 12 1/2 years old at the time!! We planned our trip very carefully and stayed overnight at a Pet friendly hotel. We stopped every 3 hours for a potty break and drink. We had her bedsheet from home and her favorite pillow in the backseat. She did so much better than we anticipated. We drove back to PA and home again the following Christmas. Again, she did fine. We just made sure we stopped every couple hours and had all her things within reach. She didn't have a problem with car sickness though. I don't know what to do about that???

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
You may not be able to fly a pet to the southwest during the summer, because there are temperatures above and below which the airlines will not fly pets. Roughly speaking, June-September is the timeframe to avoid. That said--try to book a non-stop flight. If flying during the summer, a red-eye will be your best bet for finding a flight during allowable temperatures. Make a reservation for your pet at the time you make your reservation. If you're able to fly, post again, and I'll post more suggestions.

Also saw your question about the transport company...I'd be hesitant to turn my pet over to an unknown agency for a cross-country drive. I'd either fly with the pet, as you have mentioned, or drive with the pet. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I posted on the other thread, but will repeat myself. I had Georgia flown form OH to NM and it was the best decision that I could've made. She was only in transit for about 6 hours (as compared to several days) and had no ill effects at all.

Betsy is right though about the temperature probelms.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
10 days ago Moose flew out to us, Over the great Canadian Rockies! He's
such a brave boy.

He was in the crate for seven hours, because of a delay. He was afraid to come out of the crate at first, but we were patient with him. He's been fine every since. I think he forgot about it as soon as we offered him food!!!

The airlines have regulations about crates, etc. You need to check with them. But I'd do it again, if I needed to.

Sandy

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
We've driven from Massachusetts to Florida in 2003 and Florida to California from 2006.

It was difficult in that it was the week after hurricane katrina hit and we had to reroute our trip 4 times. Only difficult getting gasoline once.

AAA has a great online site and that's what we used for our travels. Used that in conjunction with their TripTik and our GPS unit.

I suggest you talk with your vet about traveling options. A lot of airlines won't let you bring pets during the summer as the pets are considered cargo and often times they cannot control the temperatures where they're stored. Yes...stored.

I'll never forget in all my life that once we saw the travel crate of a dog go round and round and round at baggage claim at Logan airport (Boston). The people's luggage was elsewhere than the dog. It made me cry.

Happy travels!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would fly emma anytime.....

thanks to all for the great advice. i know i wont be flying in the summer and will wait until fall.......might drive if i can get the carsickness under control.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Jacques our first basset flew from the tender age of 5 months until he was 8 years old. He went back and forth from Seattle and Oakland and occasionally from Masset in the Queen Charlottes to Vancouver. He was a pretty good little traveller for the most part except for the getting in the kennel.

We only flew him on Alaska Airlines which has great ramp folks for dogs in my opinion and on a few small regional airlines in Northern BC.

Dallas is a SW and AA hub. I have yet to fly Ernest on anything yet, but you need to double check what the weather requirements are for transporting you r pup.

New Mexico, I have no idea.

Ernest will be flying to San Diego in August, we'll see how good he is. We booked our flights for late in the day when it'll be cooler in SD.

lala

1 - 11 of 11 Posts