Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone....are Bassets used as hunting dogs? I would think because they have such sensitive sniffers, second only to the blood hound, that they would be an excellent tool for hunting.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The Early History of the
Basset Hound in England, 1874-1921
by Eva S. Balogh

link to article:

http://www.basset.net/balogh2.html

quote:

"Until the 1890s most of the imports were undertaken for the purpose of showing the dogs and their progeny at dog shows. However, the basset was also slowly discovered as an excellent hunting companion. By the end of the century there were three English packs that hunted on a regular basis. The most famous and influential of them was the Walhampton pack maintained by Godfrey and Geoffrey Heseltine. It was from this pack that the first American imports came in the early 1920s. The Heseltines bought their first basset in 1890 from Captain Peacock, and this nucleus was later augmented by the purchase of a whole disbanded pack maintained by T. Cannon, Jr. of Dansbury. In 1891 the Heseltines began to hunt with their bassets, first badger, then hare."

Bassets are good rabbit dogs. Pinehawk and Dean on this forum can give you alot of information on this-

·
Registered
511 Posts
As for hunting, their noses work really good. The other day with a very slight breeze, I watched Dozer hold his head up high, trying to find the smell. If the yard wasn't fenced in, he would be gone.

·
Registered
797 Posts
sorry about not replying sooner -- grandson came back on leave from Iraq -- had to go to airport -- we didn't know he was coming

Bassets are excellent hunters -- I think they are even better than many beagles -- I have been out hunting rabbits and pheasant over my dogs. They have also been used for squirrel. They will run any type of game --- hare, turkey, neighbors cats, dove, quail, deer, and work well as wounded game trackers
it's in their blood --- I have seen many house pet and older bassets turn into good, happy hunters if given the chance. ---at a local hunt, one nervous mommy said she had never seen her couch potato have so much fun!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
they are real good at hunting,all my family have used them for the last 43 years for that purpose,with a beagle mixed into the pack once in a while.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do any of you who take bassets hunting or participate in the organized "games" know about events in Georgia or the southeast US ?? I'm very much a novice but I think my husband, son, and I would have a great time taking Nugget to something like this.

I'm also interested in learning about games to play with her at home which involve using her sense of smell. My main concern is that we live in the country with plenty of acres but no fence to keep a basset corralled! We always keep her on a lead when she's outside.

I just don't know where to start with this. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated from y'all that know about bassets and hunting.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well, my little guy Francis is blind so he is far more scent oriented than a lot of dogs. Yesterday we went to the park and as we were tumbling out of the car in the parking lot "Ol' Big Nose" caught wind of something and went off on an absolute tear, I mean that dog was flying and I was working to keep up.
That park is situated right on the Charles River and he knows it like the back of his hand so he just kept following his nose until he got to a small pile of dead fish and then before I could stop the little horror he ROLLED all over in it.
It made for a really, really long ride home. :eek:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sami stalks her kibbles... but we have wild hares out here and they would dearly love to catch one. My dad hunts but has not used a bassset-his are healers and they have a lot of fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts