Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let‘s hear your clever basset stories! Here is my most recent one: This morning, I heard an odd scraping noise coming from the kitchen. I went to investigate and discovered my boy had pushed a chair across the kitchen to the counter where I had butter sitting out to soften. If I’d been 30 seconds slower he’d have succeeded. I swear when it comes to getting food he is a genius! Photo is from when I was making bread. He’s always under foot so inevitable ends up covered in flour. 🤣

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Let‘s hear your clever basset stories! Here is my most recent one: This morning, I heard an odd scraping noise coming from the kitchen. I went to investigate and discovered my boy had pushed a chair across the kitchen to the counter where I had butter sitting out to soften. If I’d been 30 seconds slower he’d have succeeded. I swear when it comes to getting food he is a genius! Photo is from when I was making bread. He’s always under foot so inevitable ends up covered in flour. 🤣 View attachment 29055
I want him - warts and all!! He's just my sort.

I had one who, having left a pork tenderloin out to thaw. at that back of the counter and our of reach, I thought, - not. I was upstairs and happened to glance out of the window to see him up the garden with something blue in his mouth. I rapidly realised it was the tray said pork was in, wrapped up. By the time I got down and up the garden, said pork had all gone. And it was pretty much still frozen. Fearing Bloat, I kept a good eye on him for the rest of the day (no more food for him that day and a switch of plans for our meal too :eek: ) he survived, but clearly had a sore tummy. Too bad! That boy not only had a long back, but a long neck too, so getting to the back of the counter was not a problem for him. He was my only bicolour and really quite different from the rest. He was the one who, on moving to a new place, would seek and find the weak spot in the fencing and go through. Instead of taking off however, he'd sit and wait for me to notice he'd gone and his expression said it all "if you think you have me contained, think again".

ps That hungry Basset raiding the fridge - worries me. Was there somebody there to film what was going on of had a camera been set up and left running? Did the Basset survive?

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
"That hungry Basset raiding the fridge - worries me "

MY Harrier learned to open the fridge more the freezer since it was on the bottom. and the basset at the time while it took him two years finally tought him the importance of stealth and never to attempt such things when humans are home,. the haul is much better if you wait for when 1. they are a sleep or 2 gone, When that basset eventually died and another replaced him. The new basset "macey" was an exception learn by observation from other dogs so she quickly learned to open the fridge as well. However she never learned the importance of stealth. So there was less issue cuz see would attempt shuch thing with you standing right there so If you forgot the child proof latch she would remind you before you lost a whole freeze full of food to the harrier. They never did figure out the french Door Fridge though so that eventual solved the problem,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If Charlie learns to open the fridge I’m really in trouble! I was reminded of the time my first basset Penny got to the tray of oatmeal cookies (a double batch) that I’d foolishly left on the counter. She ate her fill and then proceeded to hide the rest around the house. For weeks I’d put my foot in a shoe and find a cookie, move a pillow on the couch, another cookie.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This post was so timely. Our princess basset, Dory, was incensed today because we took the bag of leftover bread to feed the birds. Here in Nashville we have had a week of ice and snow and the birds were needing some feed. Our yard is such that we have short fencing around our garden and tree area to keep her out of the mulch. So the bread cubes were strewn about in there. She ran around, racing from one end to the other trying to get to any piece, sliding her paws underneath, sticking her nose in as far as she could and then noticed that we put some around the birdbath (fenced again) and she was so made she just started barking wildly at us and dancing around as if to say," why are you just standing there?? Get it for me."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts