Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all! We're in the final decision stages of adopting a basset mix from our local shelter. He's three years old and all basset in the body and legs. My question - can a healthy adult basset hound physically handle going up and down carpeted stairs several times a day? There are two main sets of stairs that are 8 steps each he'd probably want to use if he's going to traipse around after us all day. Plus three cement steps into the back yard. I don't want to doom him to early joint/back problems by having a house not ideal for him. Thanks for any input! Love this site!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My house is a Bi-level. I have pretty much the same arrangement you are describing. I've put a baby gate at the top of the stairs. (the kind with the swinging door)
They dont come downstairs at all. It's cut my housework in half, and pretty much saved their backs/joints. It's worked out good so far. Except this is what I see whenever I go down or come up the stairs:

Sandy

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only advice i have heard is that they should take it easy with stairs and furniture until they reach 1 year old..... so i think your dog should be just fine. Although i think it also depends on the dog.
Daisy is fine with stairs and is able to jump on and off funiture very easily but i know my Vet has an adult male basset and he refuses to do stairs at all.... they have to carry him up and down.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Hi, all! We're in the final decision stages of adopting a basset mix from our local shelter. He's three years old and all basset in the body and legs. My question - can a healthy adult basset hound physically handle going up and down carpeted stairs several times a day? There are two main sets of stairs that are 8 steps each he'd probably want to use if he's going to traipse around after us all day. Plus three cement steps into the back yard. I don't want to doom him to early joint/back problems by having a house not ideal for him. Thanks for any input! Love this site![/b]
The best thing you can do for a bassets back and joints is keep excess weight off the dog. The majority of dog in the US are over weight and basset are near the top of the list. I have only see a handful of basset that dindn't need to loose some weight.

I probably not the best one to advise you on stair since mine routinely do much more than stairs, as they are all involved with agility. See avitar. I keep their weight down and never had a joint or back problem knock on wood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, all! We're in the final decision stages of adopting a basset mix from our local shelter. He's three years old and all basset in the body and legs. My question - can a healthy adult basset hound physically handle going up and down carpeted stairs several times a day? There are two main sets of stairs that are 8 steps each he'd probably want to use if he's going to traipse around after us all day. Plus three cement steps into the back yard. I don't want to doom him to early joint/back problems by having a house not ideal for him. Thanks for any input! Love this site![/b]

Thanks, everyone! Any other opinions/advice would be much appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Same here.... Iv'e got gates on the stairs and I try to keep his weight down. I think taking him out every day for a run also helps keep his joints supple and his muscles toned.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
A healthy and normal basset shouldn't have problem with stairs after 1 year of age,
but as suggested here, it could be wise to avoid him racing up/down stairs all the time.

Another thing, which is more important, is that he should not be allowed to jump
up and down of furniture, this is not just bad for his joints, but also for his back.

If you want him to have access to couch and bed, make him some steps.

Good luck! :p

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Another thing, which is more important, is that he should not be allowed to jump
up and down of furniture, this is not just bad for his joints, but also for his back.
:p

--------------------

Um maybe Emma and Doris need to have a talk with Mariah, Who's biggest Joy in life comes from jumping up and sliding across the kitchen table. That would be straight from the floor.

FWIW jumping up places very little stess on the joint it is jumping down that can cause problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone! These are exactly the kinds of personal experience comments I'm needing! We're getting the dog tomorrow, so I'll be needing all the opinions/help I can get!

Susan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts