Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a real problem with Barney constantly pestering my grandkids. He gets so excited that there doesn't seem to be anything that works in calming him down. I don't want to have to put him outside while they are here. He's 7 months old so am pretty confident that he'll outgrow this but need help now.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
My girl does the same thing to my niece. I don't think she'll ever grow out of this phase - she's 3 now.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Boy they really like kids dont they! Our house is sandwiched between two elementary schools so we have to pass one either way on our walks. She usually wags her tail like crazy & pulls & leans that direction. She would probably go crazy if I lt her loose during recess! One time she was pulling & we were across the street & she sat down & wouldn't budge... until we crossed the street to be closer! Silly dog. Have you tried kenneling him when they first get there to have him calm down & then let him out when he's settlsbux bit? My first two Christmas parties PB was in/out of the kennel 50x's!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I'm having a real problem with Barney constantly pestering my grandkids. He gets so excited that there doesn't seem to be anything that works in calming him down
It all about teaching the dog self control see my post in my Wit's end and ready to kill her! HELP!

That said it is general the kids reaction to the dog that gets then overexcited and hyped up. If they were to remain calm then the dog would. But when they yell scream run and push the dog the dog is going to react in kind.

·
Registered
697 Posts
We used to keep henry on a lead in the house and instruct all visitors to ignore him until he had settled down. No petting until all 4 feet are on the floor and when we felt he was calm he would be let off the lead. If he misbehaved, back on.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
All good suggestions here. We don't know because no grandkids here.

BUT, i will say that last week we took a trip to the beach and i STOLE a sandwich from a 4yo who was picnicking at the beach w/his family. my person was mortified. i was a bad doggie, but i got a sandwich out of it. hmmm, somehow the long-distance recall doesn't work when there's a sandwich involved.

yeah, i like kids too!!!
--Worm

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
BUT, i will say that last week we took a trip to the beach and i STOLE a sandwich from a 4yo who was picnicking at the beach w/his family. my person was mortified. i was a bad doggie, but i got a sandwich out of it. hmmm, somehow the long-distance recall doesn't work when there's a sandwich involved.

--Worm
LOL...Wormie! Actually Annie did the same thing on the 4th of July, stole a lady's breakfast after she called her over to say hi. I was quite embarrassed but hey, the lady called Annie over and had food, what did she think would happen?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts