Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Jason and I just found out that we are pregnant and will have a two legged child come this May. Barty has been acting differently, and won't leave my side. He likes to rest his head on my belly and won't let me out of his sight, especially when Jason isn't home. I wonder if he knows...like he can sense it. Has anyone ever had a similar experience, even with other animals? I think he will be a great big brother. I just hope he's around long enough for the child to remember him :(

Side note: We were at target yesterday and bought a little onesie just because it had a basset on it :)

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
So Jason and I just found out that we are pregnant and will have a two legged child come this May. Barty has been acting differently, and won't leave my side. He likes to rest his head on my belly and won't let me out of his sight, especially when Jason isn't home. I wonder if he knows...like he can sense it. Has anyone ever had a similar experience, even with other animals? I think he will be a great big brother.[/b]

Will Baby Make Four?

FWIW it is the toddler stage that is usually most traumtic and leads to the most problem in a dog/child relationship

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congratulations on your pregnancy. My experience with Bassets and bables go way back (36yrs) but we never had an issue with the dog or the child. Our first Basset puppy was four months old when my first son was born and he loved to rest his head on my belly like Barty is doing to you. I'm sure they know. When we brought the baby home from the hospital, Waldo peed in the doorway of the baby's room and after that we had no issues. When the baby would cry the dog would come to me as if to say " aren't you going to do anything about this?" He was very gentle with the baby but we did give him special time too.

We had rules to make our lives easier. No hitting the dog, or pulling his ears and tail, and no walking with food in your hands. A toddler walking with crackers in his hand with a dog trying to get the cracker--the kid keeping his hand above his head- the dog knocks the kid down. Who gets in trouble?? The dog of course! So the the rules were food at the table only. Who wants crumbs all over the floor anyway.

Teaching the child to respect the dog is the key. Of course I was a stay at home Mom and had plenty of time to watch the both of them and keep them in line.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Congratulations! We have 3 Bassets (one new as of yesterday) and one 1 year old boy. Our dogs have been great! They just love him so much and are so gentle (except they would also knock him down for a cracker I'm sure b/c he's not very stable yet). Our dogs were very attentive during my pregnancy and ever since we brought Isaac home they just knew he was one of our little pack and they love and watch out for him. They also love to sit one on each side of his highchair to get all of the goodies he drops for them and to lick his hands if they have good mushy food on them. I think our bassets are the best possible buddies for him and I'm sure it will be the same for you guys. There are always adjustments when a new baby arrives but this one is small compared to sleep loss and time management ones. GOOD LUCK and GOOD FOR YOU!

Rachael D.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aww, that picture is just precious! And I really hope that Barty is around long enough to develop that kind of relationship with the child. Barty's already used to sharing his mom&dad time, since we have four cats and are usually pretty wrapped up in work & what not...he's a pretty independent man. But I just picture the four of us playing around and making a huge dog pile on dad and/or just having some really good times.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My very first Basset, Tasha, would behave in the manner you explain, when someone around her was pregnant. My old Clara(ATB) and Billy(ATB) would behave similarly too.
In fact, a friend of mine usually tells everyone that Tasha and Clara knew first, when she was pregnant with her second child.
She came visiting one day, and the 2 of them greeted her and behaved towards her like they did when she was expecting the first child.
She got a shock, remembering. She didn`t suspect at the time that sha was expecting again. She took a test that afternoon, and the Bassets were right,LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts