Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My husband and I are planning on getting a basset in December or later. I am so excited I am trying to be as prepared as possible! I've been reading books on dog parks and I'm wondering how bassets generally handle dog parks. We are planning on getting a puppy or young basset and would like him/her to be used to being around other dogs.

Any experience or advice you'd like to share would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
973 Posts
There used to be a large indoor dog park near us and Anabelle did her obedience training there. We'd go in from time to time and let her wander, and also left her there for daycare some.

Every basset is different but generally she was more interested in saying hello to all the other dog owners than playing with the other dogs. For the most part she didn't even really notice they were there. I imagine a puppy or young adult will be more interested in playing than she was.

Your biggest concern will probably be the other dogs, not yours. You can't trust everyone else there to be a good owner, or every other dog to be properly socialized. I wouldn't dream of taking my other dog to a dog park because he's an absolute jerk towards other dogs, but some owners won't have that sense, and unless the park is monitored by some sort of staff or authority it'll be up to you to confront the owner if something bad happens.

That being said, it is a lot of fun for your dog and you. Everyone around you is a dog lover. I'd start out during a day/time where the park isn't crowded so your dog isn't overwhelmed. If your dog is in a bad mood or starts showing bad behaviors, don't risk any problems and just try again another day.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I take Woofus to the dog park in Long Beach 5 days a week. I go M-F as the weekends are full of dogs....a lot of them not socialized. Other than that Woofus LOVES it. His favorite thing to do is pick on bigger dogs that play rough with the pups. It's cute!! This also helps his stay fit....which is a chore for a basset. Good luck and go for it!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I take Flash around twice a week and he loves it. He does very well around the other dogs and occasionally there are other Bassets, which is fun for me! Only once did we see an agressive dog and the owner promptly removed him after his/her altercation with another Lab.

A man did question me once about Flash barking at the other dogs as he was chasing them. I think he thought Flash was being aggressive. I explained that some Bassets bark when they play and he isn't the slightest bit aggressive. Another woman standing there with us told the man that she has seen other Bassets at the park do the same, so all was well.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Here are some pictures of Anabelle in the dog park:

As you can tell, she just wants attention :p

·
Registered
774 Posts
Someone else mentioned all dogs are different so I'll just share our experience:)

Our Basset loves meeting new people and dogs, she loves EVERYBODY. It has been a wonderful thing for my daughter who tends to be a little shy. Since her dog wants to meet everyone she gets the chance to meet them as well, and everyone oohs and aahs and asks questions that my daughter is proud to answer. It is a nice treat for us because our other dogs are Chihuahua mixes that are down right aggressive to other dogs and generally suspicious and nervous of other people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts