Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather getting nicer we've started planning out our future camping trips. Our family LOVES camping. We spend most of the time swimming. I've seen a couple pictures that some of you have posted of your bassets camping. I was just wondering how you do it? How do you teach them to stay in the campsite and not run off? Just curious how we can make this work. I should mention that right now Gracie is only 7 weeks. But we go camping every summer. So the info will be nice to have.
Also any other tips you can give about taking a basset camping?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
How do you teach them to stay in the campsite and not run off?
ummm a cable tie work well I prefer wraped around a tree rather than the ones twisted into the ground. Camp only on small islands don't laugh While on a canoe trip in Upstate NY we could take advatage of this on several occasions just need to be sure the island will still be there if "the crick done rise."

All that said the hound wander off following a scent never to be seen again is a lot more myth than reality. As hunter especial compared to beagles basset stick around close and move as you move. They will follow you not the other way round as happen with beagles. That said if they arn't broke of trash ( non rabbits) you could run in to trouble. some animal don't circle but run long lines like fox and deer besides being illegal to hunt or let dogs chase them in virtually every jursidiction It can be a very long time before the hound make their way back. also not everyone out in the woods is dog freindly as well so keeping them on leash is not a bad idea. If going camping/hiking you want to be sure the dog can walk on a loose leash . Ecpet when going up hill haveing the dog pull all the time is not pleasant and get olds rather quick

Another option is the light weight folding cloth crate such as Sports pet Crate they fold up tiny pop open and are extremely light weight. but not tremendiously strong. The won't protect the dog from another critter nor will they prevent a mildly determined dog from excaping a are fine for crate trained dogs.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Fun, fun-- keep us posted on ur camping trip and take lots of pics!

I went camping by the beach in March. I wuz tied on an extra-long leash to the picnic table, dunno if you can see it on this pic i posted before. it was soooo much fun!

one tip: my person made me go bathroom outside the perimeter of our campsite first thing when we got there. then because i went there already, i kept going back there to do my business. i didn't pee or poo on the campsite and that made my people very happy.

my person says i am going to "Yuhsemity" in the summer. dunno what that is, but there will be more camping...

--your pal, Worm

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mikey and Worm!

We normally just go camping at local campgrounds. Our kids are still small so we like to stay close to home.

I didnt notice the leash in your pic worm. So it looked like worm was just hangin out at the campsite. I was very impressed! lol.
Looks like I will start looking at dog runs and other ways to keep her close.

We had thought about something like this? PetSafe Wireless Instant Fence - Sale Category - PetSmart

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I always use one of those aerial trolley things that I have converted to hook to two screw in tie downs. It gives them a big area, and makes me relax. It is that vinyl covered wire thing, so I also painted it in fluorescent paint so that it wasn't a trip hazard.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We are so excited to be going on our first basset hound camping trip next Friday! I'll try and get lots of pics to post and bring back any tips we can come up with.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I agree that an electric shock wouldn't slow a basset down. I had one that trapped a skunk under the house, and took multiple hits, but never backed down. They aren't afraid of a little pain. He smelled like skunk everytime he got a drink of water for months after that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ewww skunk. Ok we will have to figure out a dog run set up. And yeah we already have a harness on her. We thought that it might be better.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I'm new to the whole dog run thing. Is there some sort of kit you buy?
certainly sold in most pet stores or you can get the componets at a hardware or big box lumber store. You need two cables they generally vinyl coated but Im not a big fan of vinyl coated cable for the trolley line the trolly line is the strait line with a trolley(pulley/roller) attached that goes between to upright objects trees etc. often times there is a sping on one end to keep tension uniform. The cable is usually held in place with cable clamp the same clamps can be use as stop for the tolley as well. By setting the stops you can prevet the dog getting tangle for instance aound the tree the trolly line is attached. TO the Trolley is a basically a leash made of cable to the dog often with a brass clip on both end on to attach to the trolly the other to the dogs harness or collar

Dog trolley run

a good article on how to install and set up

Installing a Trolley System

The avantage of a troll of a simple line or rope is ! with the trolley in the air one can set it up so it is very difficult for the dog to get tangled. 2. It is general easier to set up and provide more room for the dog to travel. and 3 a simple tie out can encorage OCD type behavior like runing in circles. The back and forth action of a trolley does not for some reason does not become OCD behavior.

A trolley is best for a permenant or semi-permenant installion it is not something you will want to put up and take down every day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for posting that Mikey T.

We have had our cables for a while. They are the red vinyl coated cables and we got them at Lowes but I have seen them at various places. For a simple trolley/run for use while camping we just have 2 cables. There is a clip on each end (like what is on a leash). We ran one between two trees and then used the other one to attach one end to the line and one to Bernie's harness. It only took a couple minutes to do and we were there for 3 days. It worked great!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
berniesmom, you're near birmingham no?
the hoominz met some nice folks over at BHRA.org there once. brought home a little crosseyed orphan hound named austin. they're good folks, yes'indeedy.
they're saying that's where this mythical "brother" may be coming from.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, Esther, i live a little north of birmingham and actually work in birmingham.
I haven't met the people at BHRA but I've heard they are a nice group of folks.
We are hoping to get to meet them and some other bassets in a couple weeks at Do Dah Day (it's a dog festival). We haven't been in years and are really excited to get to go this year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts