Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, we got Bowser when he was six weeks old. On his back he has a little white triangle over his butt.....but as he grew, it started turning wavy. At first we were naive and thought the fur was doing something weird because his adult hair was growing in. Well, that was kind of true...it was becoming curly! The triangle became a very distinct S shape. It was still a triangle if you straightened it out, but the fur was totally wavy. Then all of a sudden it began to spread! Eventually it has gone ALL the way up his spine. It's very noticeable. It looks like he has ocean waves all up and down his back! But that's the only place it is! Butt to neck!

SO has anyone else seen this, or does he have poodle in his background or something? lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
One of George's two sisters had wavy/curly hair all over her body when she was a puppy. The hair was longer and seemed fuller. The breeder told us that she had contacted someone at AKC regarding the curly hair, and was told it was a recessive trait of the breed. When Geroge was a puppy he had a few strands of curly hair close to the tail end of his body, and he seemed to grow out of it a few months after I brought him home. We recently saw the sister again, she is now four, her hair has straighten out, but it is still longer than George's.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
A basset ridgeback! Fascinating. (That's all I can offer, sorry, at the risk of offending the Masters of Genetics on this forum.) But it is very interesting.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
My second Basset, Watson, had wavy hair on his back. It happens sometimes.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww, how cute! I have never heard of a curly-backed Basset before! Have you got a close-up pic of Bowser's back please?

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
My second Basset, Watson, had wavy hair on his back
The whole back ridge along the spine of toughy was wavy as well. More so with the winter coat when the hair was longer than the shorter summer coat.

below is a picture of toughy he is wet so add more contrast but the hair along the spine is longer, more dense and wavier than the rest of the coat.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer has slightly wavy hair on his back along his spine, and it seems to be a different texture. Will try and get a picture of it sometime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts