Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else have problems with their basset hound constantly whining... its not like a painful whine just doing it to do it.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine does this for one of two reasons:

1) its the morning time and he's awake and alone in his room.
2) he is being a little pill.

To keep things simple, i keep a spray bottle full of water handy somewhere in the kitchen. A few sprays and a solid SHH will usually get him to stop. Sometimes he sees the bottle and promptly stops whining : P

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Annie whines almost constantly. She will even whine just a little (out of excitement I think) when we start our walk. If she is outside sleeping, no whining, but if she sees me it becomes major "whine time." I think she has developed a super sized attachment to me in the past few years because I've been home more. She will even whine into a howl if I go out front and she knows I'm out there. I remind her daily that she is very lucky that she is soo cute, any other dog would be in trouble for the noise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Watson is very vocal. He has "little whines" and "big whines." The little whines are for seemingly no reason. The big whines usually means he is hungry, thirsty, tired or generally wants attention (much like a child or infant) or needs something. The only time he isn't whining in some way, shape, or form is when he is otherwise occupied with a toy, treat or bone. So you're not alone in the whiny basset situation!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Agreed. Bowser whines (talks) for EVERYthing. He's happy, sad, upset, excited, hungry, outside, uhm...waking up in the morning *lol* he's just very vocal. Usually a few pats and kisses will shut him up : )

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yogi doesn't whine unless he wants to go out. Our GSD whines all the time and it drives me a bit nuts. Sometimes I think he's having a conversation with himself.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Barney whines a lot,especially when he is bored.He is 4 months old now and has so much energy..he keeps his mom busy!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Princess Buttercup's definitely a whiner but she rarely ever growls or howls! That is unless we leave her somewhere new like a beach house or relatives during the holidays etc. "Arroooo!!! You forgot to take me with you!! Arroooo!! Pleeeeease come back!" She does bark like a banshee at the dog park too! I totally feel like the mom of the bad kid at camp!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've just accepted the whining as part of life. I used to think I was missing something that Molly needs, but now I realize she just does it. I mean, sometimes it's out of boredom, so then we spend time playing fetch, tug, or just getting a good scratch. I have noticed that the whining is decreasing as she's getting older.

I guess some bassets whine more than others. Better than constant barking, I'd say.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yep. Lily does this frequently. As a matter of fact she's doing it right now, and she's driving me nuts!!!

~Heather

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think of the basset whine as another voice that is one way of them talking to us.

If I had a sleep in Soph used to whine as if to say well come on its time for you to get up and give my my breakfast. Whine

Same with if I was patting her and stopped. Whine

Same if I went to get the lead to take her for a walk. WHine

Same if I opened th fridge - and whenever I was in the kitchen she was there too. When she heard the sound of the knife chop on the board, she'd be there in a flash as she knew I was chopping food. Whine

I used to hinkof it at Sophie's way of sayine - I want some of that or some more of this. What do you think Mama - how about it come on PLEASE WHINE

Always when she wants something or in excited anitipation of that something happening soon. Bassets are in no way backwards when it comes to letting us know what they want. Even their yawns are noisy!

·
Registered
972 Posts
oh yes goodness...noisy whiney moany yawns galore! lol!
I LOVE making him grunt though, when he's really tired and doesn't particularly want to be messed with *grin* it's that deep groan, then sigh. LOL he deserves it, the little brat!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
it's that deep groan, then sigh.
That part is always hilarious. For Annie it is always the ending portion of a super sized whine session...it's my cue that she has given up on whining. *whine, whine, whine...big deep groan, sigh, head down* Makes me laugh every darn time!

·
Registered
761 Posts
oh yes goodness...noisy whiney moany yawns galore! lol!
I LOVE making him grunt though, when he's really tired and doesn't particularly want to be messed with *grin* it's that deep groan, then sigh. LOL he deserves it, the little brat!
I love when they groan at me! It's like I'm getting them back for all the times they drove me nuts during the day. Doppler does it when I lay on him to give him love and Virga usually does it when I'm moving her and she just wants to sleep. And I've never heard a dog's yawn before we got these two! It's pretty funny.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts