Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 10 year old Basset seems to be having some stomach trouble. He is going to the bathroom fine and eating and drinking water. His stomach seems a bit hard and fat. He is walking some but not as much as nornal and extra lazy. This has been going on for a few days and started with him limping which now seems to come and go. This happened a year ago as well and lasted few days and then he was fine. He is not panting, drooling or vomiting nor is he restless, whining or pacing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I think you should involve your vet. He can x-ray, or if necessary do further investigation - we can only guess. He should be able to accurately diagnose what's going on there. 10 is getting up there in age although you should have 4 more years, or more, with him. However, something isn't right - and I lost what is probably my last Basset at 10.5 years after he went off his back legs.

A bloated stomach can suggest GDV - Bloat with torsion, BUT unless treatment is sought, a sufferer won't last 'a few days'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

My 10 year old Basset seems to be having some stomach trouble. He is going to the bathroom fine and eating and drinking water. His stomach seems a bit hard and fat. He is walking some but not as much as nornal and extra lazy. This has been going on for a few days and started with him limping which now seems to come and go. This happened a year ago as well and lasted few days and then he was fine. He is not panting, drooling or vomiting nor is he restless, whining or pacing.

Any ideas?
Camille, hello, i also would recommend going to vet. we lost our male basset in march last year due to bloating/twisted stomach. the vet did not have time to operate, just sedate him, terrible loss. then last month (march 2021) our 1st female basset we got who was almost 11 started throwing up her food and not eating, my wife for the last month put food in her mouth and used syringe to give her chicken broth. She passed away on 4/4/21. After that first incident in March of throwing up (and i think she had some diarrhea), she would not eat on her own, not even try. she would drink water but we had to hand feed her. She really never made any noises like she was in pain but we had to take her 2x to vet in march and both times had to leave her overnight for IV which made her better for awhile. One of the meds the vet gave her was like Pepcid. I hope everything turns out ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts