Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps it's just that bassets seem to do everything 'better' than other dogs - like shedding, drooling, listening (to their own inner commands, not mine)etc. Just wondering how everyone copes with such traits. I've had José for almost 5 years & have a few to share.

1. Clothing. Try to match your clothes to your basset fur. Don't bother with wearing fleece or non-basset colored sweaters, as they just becomes a big pincushion for basset fur stuck in it. Lint rollers don't even help sometimes.

2. Furniture. Must be leather or at least covered with a washable towel or blanket. Rugs should be like clothes & match the fur! End tables & coffee tables should be high enough so they can't just lean their nosey faces in & eat your food or drink your coffee.

3. I have found no solution to the water bowl as no matter how large of a carpet remnant I put it on there is always water everywhere. After one drink, the water bowl is converted to a bowl of thick slime.

4. Love of people. I like to call it that, rather than admit that José has a bit of a jumping/humping problem around visitors. I throw a rawhide twist at him when company comes & that is more exciting than people so he leaves them alone. Repeat as necessary!

5. The crazies. This can happen at any time without warning where excess energy must be burned & quickly! Unfortunately we encourage him by yelling "crazy dog!!" and off he goes into full blown running like a mad man. But the reward is one tired boy who lays down on the carpet like a "normal" dog!

Anyone else have any tips to help us out?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7. All furniture must be made out of unchewable material or else it is free game. My kitchen table has been basseted by both! One day I'm going to sit down in the chair and it is going to break!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts