Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know, bassets are molluscs - just like the squid.
They are spineless, or without backbones as some will say.
This comes handy when they are forcing themselves into a
cage designed for a dog 10 times smaller, or when they en-
ter a pipe more narrow than the dog, and then turn around
inside to come out the same way.

It also comes handy when laying on a lap, look how Doris is
draped oved the lap like a jellyfish - (also mollusc)....

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
775 Posts
I know all too well about that spineless bassett because Dolly does that every time we try to get her to do something she doesn't want to. She flops in the floor and when I pick her up she is like a noodle.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The other side of this phenomenon is that when in the spineless state, their weight triples. Ask anyone who's tried to move them....... :lol:

·
Registered
662 Posts
*lol* Too funny ... my houndies do that too ... it's funny because I guess I sort of got used to the Basset antics and it just seemed "normal" to me ... then we moved into the same house as my mother and her dog (which is a lab/chow cross) and het dog never does the sort of things the houndies do! *hehe*

They're definately in a class alllll their own. ;)

K

·
0 Posts
:lol: :lol:

And exactly *how* much did the very posh dog bed to the left of the sofa cost???

:lol: :lol:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kerrio
Jackson's Blog.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ah, yes...Boneless Basset! We know that very well in our house. Francis likes to do that lengthwise along my body when I try to lie down on the couch to read. It's not like I need to breathe or anything.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:rolleyes: Ah!! Another Basset that perfers the sofa/human to the wonderful, soft, expensive dog bed on the floor. Isn't it amazing that we can't resist those pleading eyes and give in to being the human pillow and heating pad for our fur kids. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate to disappoint you, but the "expensive" dog bed on the floor is an old
pillow from the garden furniture. I use stretch sheet the size of a children's
bed to cover them, but they were in the laundry at the moment.

Doris use it sometimes, if the sheet is new washed.....

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes, Jeannie and I frequently comment on the unusual positions they can get into. Sometimes it seems like the odder the body posture, the more they enjoy it!

·
Registered
465 Posts
There is a small (very small) town near us named for this creature. Mollusk, Virginia. There is a post office that is no more than 14' x 20'. What a metropolis! The sign name for the town has the name on both sides!

http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Mollusk-Virginia.cfm

Here in the states, it's spelled mollusk. I love Doris' picture. Elmer does that too. Here's Elmer the Mollusk sliding out of his shell:

·
Registered
219 Posts
It is amazing how they will make any size "hole" fit their body and they always look the picture of comfort. Always love pictures of the girls!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts