Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am going to get my first dog later this year and top of my list is a Basset Hound. I am after some advise to ensure it is a suitable breed for me.

My girlfriend both work during the day (mon-fri). When I get the dog, I intend to take time off work to look after the dog - How long does it take to house train a Basset?

When I go back to work, I will walk him mornings, evenings and weekends myself but I intend to have a dog walker come around to take him out twice during the day whilst I am at work - Are Bassets good with strangers?

How are bassets when left on there own for a few hours?

Many Thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
I know most Bassets don't like to be left alone for hours on end. They area a pack animal and need companionship, human or another animal. Maybe you could talk with some rescue people or a breeder just to find some feedback on "your" particular situation. People involved in Bassets are usually very willing to share their knowledge and experience with you.

A

·
0 Posts
BTW, bassets seem to be among the most difficult dogs to housetrain. It can be done (otherwise, NOBODY would own a basset) but it takes a little more work than with other breeds.
That said, If you're getting in a dog walker twice a day and taking some time off initially, I don't see where that should be such a problem unless you're both working 12 hour days.
Bassets are usually excellent with strangers. The trick is to get them socialized early and often with other people and dogs but that holds true for all breeds. Unfortunately you've come to the wrong place if you want an unbiased opinion about bassets. We're all total wackos about our dogs. :D

J

·
0 Posts
Two bassets are better than one when left alone...they're great company for one another. Also an older basset with good manners (?!) can be an asset in helping to train a puppy :roll:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Actually your plan sounds like it would work out quite well. Bassets are very social dogs. They are breed to be part of a pack, so they usually get along well with others. It is wise to socialize a puppy, and to keep up the socialization process. Basset hounds can be hard to house break, but with crate training and a walker coming in while you are at work, I don't see a problem. I would strongly recommend crate training and look up potty training on the web, and you should be fine.

Basset Hounds are really great family dogs. That being said - do be aware that they shed, drool and are very stubborn. They are scent hounds and will be more than happy to clean all food off of your counters and tables for you (do not be fooled by their lack of height). They are not couch potatoes until they are older, they are actually pretty active when young. They will totally make you laugh and smile!! Have fun!!

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
BTW, bassets seem to be among the most difficult dogs to housetrain. It can be done (otherwise, NOBODY would own a basset) but it takes a little more work than with other breeds.
Understatement of 2006 is offically awarded to Beverly Anne Cawley

it is obvious that the person who wrote how to house train your dog in 7 days nev er owned basset. In my years of experience I do not think it is possible to house train a basset that is reliable before the age of 6 months and a year is more the norm.

For anyone considering the breed I reccomend The Basset Hound Owner's Surival Guide (Owner's Guides to a Happy, Healthy Pet) (Hardcover) by Diane Morgan

M

·
0 Posts
Go for it!
Everyone has given you great realistic advise. I made the mistake of getting a Basset without any backround info. God was really on my side. I've had a few dogs in my past and Bassets are wonderful. They are great family dogs, meaning they show love to all rather than connect to one particular family member. They make great companions! I had great luck training my basset. I used the bell method and it worked perfectly. Yes, bassets will get themselves into trouble. They do need to be watched. If you think it's a possiblity they could get into something dangerous, they will. But there is nothing better than having one crawled up next to you with his head on your lap. Good Luck.. It's wonderful you're doing your homework now.
mary f

M

·
0 Posts
It took me about 10 months to housetrain Maggie Mae. And I was a full time stay at home Mommy to her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She was terrible. The trick is to be consistent and don't give up!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
As for housetraining, Sadie was 9 months before she was reliable for the most part (not 100%). Spencer was better, at 6 months, but he had her as an example. My Mom has always let mine out 1 or 2 times daily while I am at work, which works well. They go 4-5 hours alone in the house now, but they are both adults. It sounds like you have a good plan in place, just be aware of the time it takes to housetrain, & as it has been said, consistency is a big key. Bassets are great dogs. I would never have another breed!

A

·
0 Posts
As everyone before me had said Bassets are great, and they really are.

But you might want to look into Bassets a little more. Read other posts on this forum and get a really good feel for them. I have 2 bassets and would not change that one bit. But they are just like 2 year olds, always getting into trouble! I have both so I know first hand.

Good Luck with your decision! And let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
316 Posts
First two years bassets can be a trainwreck waiting to happen. But soon thereafter they become the sweetest things as well as the biggest cuddlers on earth.

If you want the perfect dog, get a lab. But as soon as an older basset looks up at you with those sorrowful eyes and just wants to cuddle with you on the couch you will never want another breed.

A

·
0 Posts
Bassets are wonderful dogs and I can't imagine what I'd do without little Ruby. However, they are beyond belief stubborn, can be vocal and loud and shed all year round and aren't the lay around dogs like some folks think they are (unless they're Ruby at 7-1/2 yrs of age --ha!). They are a lot of work. But oh so cute!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm a newbie basset owner myself - I adopted a 4 year old, so perhaps I can give you some insight on that option.

Luckily, whoever had Sebstien first did the 'hard work' and he is very well housetrained, and has very nice manners. I had a few housetraining accidents with him,but only during the time he was settling in. Once he had his routine down, we've had no worries. I am away at work up to 9 hours a day (that's from leaving to coming home) but not as a rule. Sebi can deal with those hours, and I get a very happy welcome home. At that point,everything is about him for the next few hours as we walk/play etc. He sleeps mostly while I am out, and I don't have the adventures some owners do with troublemaking - although I paid dearly the day I forgot to close up the recyling bin properly. He is very happy with this routine - he likes the familiarity. I had to send a friend over once because I was kept late at the hospital, and although Sebi was nice enough to him he was clearly confused when the routine was upset for that day, and I heard about it at length when I finally got home :) .

Sebi isn't as stubborn as some bassets, but he is definately a drama queen, and will let his opinion be known a *lot*. Just know that bassets are a talky breed - not all people like having a running commentary at all hours. That said, I wouldn't trade him for anything and I was very lucky to have him come into my life.

A

·
0 Posts
I hope you take note of all the comments here I agree with them and had many other breeds who have been much much easier to train but having said that since I got Menna last June she has made me laugh more than any other dog that has lived with us. My daughter who is 23 and lives away from home keeps looking at me as if I've lost the plot and says things like you have never let me or any other dog get away the things she gets away with , which is part of the reason why Menna is a long way from being trained how can you train a dog when you are laughing so much.
She has been fully house trained since she was 4 months but normally I house train a puppy in 3 or 4 days.
good luck in your choice

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have had dogs more or less all my life and bassets are by far the most stubborn breed I have come across. My copper is also a great shedder and drooler and has very selective hearing.He is also the most wonderful dog I have had and has the greatest personality ever.Bassets are worth every bit of extra effort that they require.

J

·
0 Posts
Agreed! Having been owned by Jake for five years now, I can't imagine living with any other breed.

I do think that prospective basset slaves should beware...if you expect a basset to behave like a 'proper' dog (follow your every instruction, obey commands to the letter, walk faithfully to heel, play fetch and so on), then a basset is not for you as you will only be disappointed and frustrated. However, if you have unlimited patience and an open mind, you can expect many years of fun, laughter, love and affection from your basset!

A few observations:-

I used to have a collie...and a basset is at the opposite end of the doggie spectrum in all ways!

People I've talked with who've had bassets say EITHER "I'd never consider any other breed" OR "I would NEVER have another basset - far too much trouble, wouldn't do a thing it was told".

One of the reasons bassets go into rescue is because they don't behave as their owners expect.

If you take a basset for a walk, you can expect apparently crazy people to come running over to pat your hound and tell you all about their own basset/s!

There's no such thing as a quick walkie with a basset: an hour's walk with Jake is 55 minutes of sniffing and peeing and five minutes of walking! :roll:

Good luck. Jake and I hope you make the decision that's right for you and your new companion.

A

·
0 Posts
You know, I've read in books and online several different places about how difficult it is to housetrain a basset. I must say our baby is seven months old, and she is *by far* the best house-broken dog we've ever had. Go figure?! I know it doesn't make any sense, but... This pup can hold her potty breaks for several hours at a time if needed, whether in the crate or loose through the house with us. She will come to us, bark, run in circles, and bark again to let us know when she needs to go. Maybe we just lucked out?!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts