Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I have just taken a basset into our care from a friend who can not handle the persistent barking when left alone at night .
The basset is 5 months old and I have a 8 year old cocker spaniel for companionship for him .
he continues to bark when left alone with my other dog .
any suggestions on how to start with house training and the barking please

·
Registered
12,937 Posts

he continues to bark when left alone with my other dog .
yes so why would you believe it would be otherwise. The dog barks when left alone at night. hmmm Does not bark when not left alone. hmmm How does one stop the dog barking at night? hmmm seem rather obvious to me.

The first step in training a new behavior is avoiding the unwanted one. Once that is accomplished you can start training a more appropriate behavior by leaving the dog for second come back and reward the dog. Slowly and randomly over time expanding the time frame you are gone. but first you must calm and strengthen the emotional state of the dog. Bassets are very social creatures and don't do well alone. A strange dog is often not going to change things emotional for a basset hounds feelings of abandonment see https://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/files/dog_behavior_separation-related-problems.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts