Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed that my 4 year old Basset has an extreme "underbite." His upper teeth go in. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what can be done?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Do you mean like this?

There's nothing to be done, really. That's just the way the dog is. If it's causing him a problem, discuss it with your vet and they might remove some of the canines, but most dogs with an underbite go through life with no issues.

·
Registered
878 Posts
We had a lovely Basset who lived a perfectly healthy life with a bit of a scissor-bite (I think that's what it was called) and her top teeth overlapped her bottom ones a bit. The only thing we ever noticed that was different for her than all of our other Bassets, was that she used to drink very daintily from the edge of her water bowl and never from the middle but we never knew if it was because of her teeth and she was gorgeous and her teeth were not noticeable unless her gums were pulled back!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I could access your picture but I'm using a computer at work and I can't.
Baxter is not experiencing any problems eating or drinking - and he is far from a delicate drinker! Water all over the place!!! It's just that I had never noticed it before and was shocked to see his top teeth behind his bottom teeth - sort of the opposite of buck teeth. He eats kibbles and has no problems. Just wondering if anyone had ever seen this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!! Yes, that's it! That's how his teeth are. When I saw it it shocked me because I never noticed it before. I'm glad that he's not the only Basset with this problem and that it's not serious. He certainly doesn't act like anything is wrong.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
FWIW the pictures are not of a basset. Macey has a lot more going on than a simple overbite as her muzzle is twisted as well she does quite well though appears less efficient at drinking than the other.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Actually, a scissors bite(top slightly over bottom) or level bite (where top meet bottom)is the correct bite for a basset. There are undershot bites where the lower jaw grows longer or the bottom teeth protrude in front of the upper jaw. There is also overshot bites which is the opposit of the undershot bite ,both of these can be to various degrees from slight to extream. If someone has a puppy they were hoping to show and the adult teeth is either one of the latter there is nothing to be done to try and fix the problem,the puppy becomes "pet quality", or should ,there are unscrupulous people out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
the puppy becomes "pet quality", or should ,there are unscrupulous people out there
I did once have a "breeder" (who specialized in a different breed but wanted to get into Bassets) try to buy a male puppy from me. I checked around and heard negative things about her, so I told her that his bite had gone off, so he was no good for show/breeding. Her reply was that bites could be fixed! My response to her was pretty blunt. Never heard from her after that....I don't think she's still showing her breed either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BRACES! Why didn't I think of that???? I don't think that Baxter would be too disappointed if he couldn't be "shown" - although he is quite handsome.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
I don't think that Baxter would be too disappointed if he couldn't be "shown
A poor bite does not disqualify a dog from the show ring in AKC only being over 15" knuckling under, and excessive coat length are disqualifying faults. He just would stand muxh of a chance of winning but he could compete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts