Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a basset hound, lucy, who turned seven years old on June 7. She's been an outdoors dog her whole life, but we had learned early on when she was just a puppy that she can't stand being away from others for more than like two seconds... So we ended up getting her a little mini-dachshund, not knowing how rowdy our girl would be when she played with the little guy. Well, he died years ago from a degenerative back disease, when he was only four years old (they were very close in age; and both were "fixed").

So, I've been trying to keep as close company with Lucy all this time, but I really don't spend anymore than forty five minutes a day with her, walking, grooming, playing, petting... it never seems to be enough for her. She is a very jealous dog (we have an indoor english bulldog, who is also a jealous little girl when I'm spending time with Lucy), and almost every time I take Matilda, our bulldog for a walk, Lucy will howl and bark and cut up the way they do :rolleyes: the whole time so I usually just end up walking the bulldog in the front where Lucy can't see! Which is, of course, unfair...

Lucy is a really healthy dog, with a good-sized fenced-in backyard; I also take her on frequent walks in our fields, or sometimes down the road. She doesn't eat at all if I feed her manually from a bowl - I don't know why, but she does much better feeding herself! She has never been a fat dog, she loves to act crazy, and I've never known her to overeat. ANYWAY, it's about time I've made my point!! I want to make her an indoor dog. The only reason she's been an outdoor dog her whole life is because, quite frankly, she reeks! I give her a good bath about every month as an outdoor dog, but I would be willing to bath her as much as I had to to get her inside. My parents are a minor factor, but I'm sure she could prove herdelf. When she is allowed inside (only immediately after a bath, if not two days) all she ever does is lay on Matilda's doggie bed all day, or chew up some toilet paper... :p . For some reason she is very well potty-trained; she doesn't even ask to go outside, she just waits until it's convenient for me to let her out! So I'm not too worried about housebreaking as I am about three main things:

1. Guinea pigs. While my bulldog does quite well with my guinea pigs, as she grew up with them (she's only a year old, by the way) Lucy takes joy in watching them intently, and then lunging when they get close enough. They live in a 15 sq. ft. open pen, but I could just raise it or make it a *Closed* pen. OR.... just wouldn't let her in my bedroom if it came to it!

2. Matilda. All Matilda ever wants to do is be a typical puppy and play, play, play. Matilda would drive Lucy crazy! Any suggestions?

3.ODOR. This is the main and only reason Lucy was put outside by the time she was a year old. What do you guys do about your basset hounds' smell?! Would weekly baths be too frequent? I know she would SO prefer being inside. She likes to be in human presence, whether she's crawling onto your lap as if she were a shih-tzu, or laying across the room staring into space. Whether she's getting attention or not, she just hates being alone! There must be some sort of way to tone down her.... scent. I'm quite willing to do what I have to; convincing my parents that it could work is another story.

Input?

~K~<3

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, i can't say i have day any experience with really smelly bassets. Both of my girls have a smell, but nothing ouside of regular dog smell.

However, i can say from what i have heard, frequent baths won't help, in fact that might make it worse. You shouldn't bath her more than once a month really. ( unless she rolls in something offensive)

Often the source of the bassets bad smell is their ears. Soo.... my only suggestion would be to make sure the inside of her ears are cleaned regularly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes, clean ears may help. Sometimes, a change in food makes a difference, too. I have three bassets, all of whom have a bit of a doggie odor, but I only bathe them if we have a show coming up. Charlie, who is a finished Champion, doesn't show any more, and I can't tell you the last time he had a bath. He doesn't stink either.

Have you asked your vet about this?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Check her dog food ingredients. Try to eliminate corn from her diet. That should help a lot. Button and Elmer are now eating Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with Wellness Lite Formula and they smell so much better!

And yes, clean her ears with alcohol on a cotton ball every day or so. I also ordered something called Betagen spray from Foster and Smith catalog and it helps when their ears are itchy or smelly.

Question: What does she smell like? Fritos? Rotten fish? That can help you determine what the cause is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I add approximately 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt twice a day to Claire's food and honestly she has never had the houndie smell since I got her at 8 weeks old. She is now 3 1/2 years old, and I truly beleive the yogurt is part of the reason. Additionally I agree with the post about the food, make sure there is no corn, corn by product in it. I feed my guys Canidae All Life Stages and have never had a problem.
Good luck!
Annie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that's so weird! We are always joking about Matilda's smell; her nickname is "Giant Frito!" She eats purina dog food. Her old food and therefore her breath used to smell like dead fish but now that we have changed it, we smell faint Frito... but enough about the bulldog!

Lucy has been eating Ol' Roy pretty much her whole life, with some swaps if she gets tired of that brand... but now that she's seven we've switched her over to Science Diet for Senior Dogs 7+. We thought her smell was just basic hound smell! It doesn't smelll like normal doggy smell, or sweat, or cornchips or fish, just houndie. Maybe it is her ears! I only clean her ears like once or twice a month, maybe that's the cause of it! Since she feeds herself right now, there's no way we could really add yogurt, but if and when she moves inside, feeding herself won't be an option with another Hog Dog in the house. So just plain yogurt? She loves her food with wet stuff like that, so I'm sure she could get that down easily enough!

So I should keep up the once-a-month baths? And this hound-dog smell shouldn't be normal? She loves for me to rub her ears, and will tolerate my cleaning them, I know... and I'm trying to get her used to my brushing her teeth, which she doesn't like much, but her teeth get so yellow so quickly for some reason! Not with our other dog...? Lucy actually had to have a dental surgery not too long ago for cavities in a canine tooth, so I'm trying my best to get her used to brushing, but I'm not getting far as of yet. Do you guys have to brush your basset's teeth, or do they stay pearly like other dogs'? Could it have to do with her food also?? Is it possible that you guys have just gotten used to the smell? I can tolerate it but it gives my mom headaches, being so strong.
~K~<3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts