Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do bassets need to grow into their sniffer? Mine does not seem to know what to do with his nose, or his humongous paws. They're like he's wearing his daddy's snow boots, flopping around and all. My other dog is sniffing the air and anything else, but duncan seems so oblivious.
I also understand that bassets are supposed to be "food" hounds, but mine acts like he's never eaten before! If you try to touch his bowl he'll mash his face in there trying to eat everything as fast as possible. He then runs over to his sisters bowl and trys to eat her food( she's a leisurely eater). He is such a character.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'm not really remembering, but maybe they need to train their nose?
Regarding eaters - they seem to be either very obsessed by food or the opposite. I have one of each type....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steinar, I have been looking through all the old posts from the forum (basset obsessed) I can't ever seem to be able to see your pics of your dogs?

A

·
0 Posts
When I've put a treat out for her not in her bowl, sometimes I'll tell Ruby, "use your nose" and then I'll make a sniffing noise and she'll find it. I always say, "you're the scent hound...find it!" Ruby's daddy and I get a big laugh!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
"I also understand that bassets are supposed to be "food" hounds, but mine acts like he's never eaten before! If you try to touch his bowl he'll mash his face in there trying to eat everything as fast as possible. "

before you end up with a resource guarding issue with food you may want to try out these exercises
Food Bowl Exercises
"Signs of Guarding
• Accelerated eating ..."

My other dog is sniffing the air and anything else, but duncan seems so oblivious.
SCENT GAMESEasy exercises & games to teach any dog scent discrimination as a fun & enjoyable game using his natural talents.

[ March 17, 2006, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Mikey T ]

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think they learn, just like they learn what certain sounds mean, like car keys or the doorbell. They learn to associate a scent with a treat or a certain person, etc. I've noticed I can almost see the light bulb go on over Daisy's head when she learns what a scent is--ie, she smells something intersting, then finds out it's a yummy treat or a terrific new toy. He'll figure it out, I'm sure. :)

I agree with Steinar--I've seen this before, too--some dogs live to eat, others eat to live. :D

The "live to eat" dogs just have to learn that there's enough for everyone and that no one will be left out. We've had to do that with Daisy Jayne, she used to take food right out of our sheltie's mouth, but she's getting to understand that there's enough for everyone. Now I can give them treats together and there's no "mugging", they each eat their own (and peek to make sure the other guy didn't leave any crumbs to be cleaned up :D ) without any squabbling or stealing. She's getting the message now that stealing is not OK and that she won't be left out.

BarbR

[ March 17, 2006, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: BarbR ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts