Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! First time poster here. Have owned Bassets for 33 years, with 4 of the last 5 being adult to senior Bassets from the basset rescue. We recently lost our last family member to a brain hemmorage. We've decided to opt for a younger basset this time, as the heartache of constant short companionship is wearing on us. The weight average of our prior family members was 50-80 lbs. Have a lead on possibly adopting a 2 1/2 year old pedigree female. Have not personally seen yet, but pictures indicate she is AKC Basset Standard correct, with very short thick wrinkled legs, straight topline, and long ears. With all this being said, she is an "admittedly" small Basset at only 37 lbs.
My question is this ..... Do any of you Basset owners out there have a similar (as described) pet. And would this be considered a rarety to be so light and correct as well? Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hello, Dennisdale! Sorry, I'm not sure aout your questions, but Beldin and I wanted to extend our greetings just the same. Welcome to the forum! I hope you'll find it to be as friendly and useful as we have :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't have the answers you're looking for regarding size, conformation, etc, just wanted to say hello and welcome :)

There are a few much more "informed" folks who I'm sure will come along and have some good information for you shortly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you

Thank you Charlie and Annie714 I have always found Basset owners to be the best people in the world ...... and will look forward to additional reply posts ..... thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi there, I currently am owned by a 3 yr old little basset named Penny. she only weighs 38 pounds. Yes, she is a purebred, just little.... I like her size. I am Mom to another Basset, Otis who is 11 and he weighs about 70 pounds.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hi Dennisdale-- you seem to be living proof of... 'once you get a basset, there's no turning back'...! i'm guessing that's how you ended up with so many bassets. i will too, prob, Worm at my 1st basset has been a joy & delight. and oh so entertaining. we laugh every day w/him (and at his antics...)

found this on another posting, relevant here: "O also, AKC papers just means that the lineage of the puppy is registered, and it is, indeed, a pure bred. It does not guarantee the health of your puppy; nor, guarantee the reputation of the breeder."

and i would add, that it doesn't guarantee conformation to the breed standard either. Worm is AKC registered, though pet-quality, not show-quality. His breeder said he is too small to be competitive in shows. His mother was 30 lbs and dad was 50 lbs. He is currently 35 lbs at 10 months of age, so will prob be on the smaller side like the dog you're looking at. i don't mind him being small, but know that he is not ideal conformation-wise w/the basset hound breed.

he still eats everything, poops, whines, "whawns" (whine + yawhn), gets into trouble, steals socks & slippers, goes flat basset, but is totally lovable and loves all people and all dogs. they're the best...!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
While most of the smaller dogs generally are less than conformational correct there are some that close to ideal as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you 'My long dogs", "wworm", and "MikeyT" . That small dog info, and AKC clarification was just the stuff I was wondering about. If I am fortunate enough to acquire this little gal, I will certainly post some pics. "BA-ROOOOO" ......BA-ROOOO"

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Doesn't matter how small they are, if they don't want to do something, they weigh a ton. I think they can actually control gravity.

·
Registered
86 Posts
CatherineM - LOL, I was thinking the same thing! My Molly is still tiny (19 pounds at just under 5 months old) but if she doesn't want to leave the couch, she is deadweight. I'm in big trouble when she's full grown.

Dennisdale - Welcome!! You've been given great information. My Molly is AKC registered, but very small. Granted she's not full grown, but my vet thinks she will probably be around 35-40 pounds when an adult. I'm sure she does not meet show quality standards, but she is certainly a basset! LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to get Cracker

cracker.jpg

cracker 2.jpg

Hello I promised I would post a couple pics of my new little girl, which I will be getting on Fri. the 3rd. Her name is Cracker and she is a 2 1/2 year old female , unable to conceive thru 3 or 4 heat cycles. The breader has recogonized my wife and I as loving responsible basset owners, and will allow us to adopt Cracker into our family. She is small (37 lbs) as I described earlier. Finally a Basset I can get into the tub (even when she goes "flat basset") with out having to go to the chiropractor. let me know what ya all think!

Dennis in WA

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome Cracker....what a beautiful little girl you are...and Welcome Dennisdale...you will not meet a greater group of people than on this forum..they have all been so caring and helpful...

wishing you both the best, send us more picts when you finally bring her home....what a great day Fri will be:D

Kristi (Woody Hayes' mom)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dennisdale! Cracker is indeed a beautiful girl! So glad you're giving her a home. And our little girl Virga is a pure-bred and she's also small. She's right around 40 pounds we reckon. I love that she's so small. She's easier to cuddle with and lift in and out of the tub and the car.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Cracker is a lovely girl! You are going to have so much fun and adventures with her.

I'm a first time basset owner of 1yo Boomer, and this forum has been a godsend. I've learned so much and made some good friends here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts