Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about two weeks now our pup Rufus (8 months) wakes up between 5-6am to throw up some foam. Sounds like he's hiccuping to start with and he may only throw up once or twice at most. He seems fine afterwards and wants to go out to do his business, then comes back in to eat as usual. He typically eats about 6:30 or so. No problems at all throughout the daytime. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I remember when Yogi was a puppy he used to get sick in the mornings from time to time. What seemed to solve the problem was giving him some treats or food before he went to bed. I think he would get nauseous when his tummy was empty. Our shepherd was the same way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I think too.

Unfortunately we just went home for lunch and he wouldn't eat a thing. He drank about 2-3 cups of water and went out and poo'd a couple of times. I found two rocks in some from yesterday, so I'm thinking he's clogged up at this point. We have rocks bried around the foundation of our house for drainage I guess, and there's no getting rid of them, so I don't know what to do there other than always take him out on a leash. We'll go check in him in a couple of hours, but I can foresee a big vet bill in the making if he's refusing to eat anything.

·
Registered
562 Posts
That sucks, hopefully he isn't blocked up. Rosco gets sick in the morning just like yours, we think his is related to just having an empty stomach. I asked our vet's office about it and a tech recommended giving the dog a teaspoon of Pepto in the morning to coat the lining of his stomach. There have been days where he won't eat at all, and other days where we might as well skip pouring the food into the dish and just pour it from the bag into his mouth. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts