Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all basset mommies and daddies, how do you deal with the basset fur in your home?

My Porter is not allowed on the sofa or the bed due to the fact he leaves a layer of fur anywhere he goes. And he knows he is not allowed on the sofa but he manages to sneak on to the couch when my husband and I goes to work. I would come home and find fur all over my couch, and he would look at me with those big innocent brown eyes and 'Not me. i didn't do it. I don't know how my fur got on the couch. I have no idea what you are talking about' That sneaky little jerk! I feel like I want to laugh and cry at the same time.

So how do you deal with the fur on your furniture? Are leather sofas easier with the fur removal? Mine couch is fabric and the fur just stick to it like glue. I understand all dogs shed and it really isn't the end of the world, I just prefer a couch with as little fur as possible. Porter is brushed almost everyday, bathed every weekend and I can remove a lot of fur this way.

Any tips is much appreciated.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know basset owners that do have leather sofas......that would make hair removal easier.......I don't let my dog on the furniture (because of his back condition) or I formerly used furniture covers or blankets & removed them when guests came over. I just learn to live with the hair, part of owning a basset, they shed. Hound gloves help somewhat (rubber glove to brush them) Only time I try to be OCD is leaving the house I use those tape roller things to get it off my clothes :D Don't know if that's any help or not........

·
Registered
761 Posts
We've got a cover on our couch buts that's just to hide the hideous fabric :p! But for the most part we don't worry about the fur. Neither of ours shed too bad. The only time it's a pain is when my husband has to wear his AF blues to work. Then we have to kick them outside so my husband can lint roll his pants and not have them there to put more on in it's place. Every once in a while, I'll comb/brush them out (which takes hours it seems and kills my back) and then give them baths. I'd say I do this about once a month. I then vacuum and take the couch cover off, the cover off the dog bed, the towels we've got to cover the loveseat which they've torn, and any bedding they happen to be using at that point in time in their crates and wash them all! Or if I don't feel like throwing everything in the wash I'll use the attachment on the vacuum and just vacuum everything. We've pretty much learned to deal with it. We mainly wash all the covers and everything else when we've got company coming over. Luckily most of our guests are dog lovers and don't mind a few hairs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have leather couches and it is easier to clean off the top of the couch, but then the fur gets down between the cushions and becomes a nightmare down there. I have been wondering the same thing though. Rosco is my first basset and he is only 6 1/2 months old, but already the shedding is ridiculous!

Any suggestions on how to control it or what grooming tools others use would be really helpful!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really don't want to crate Porter during the day when I am at work and he stays home by himself. He is a good dog who doesn't chew on my shoes, eat my furniture, pee/poop in the house or any of the other bad things dogs do when left alone for 10 hours. Its just really annoying to come home and wanting to relax on the couch but have to spend 15mins with a lint roller cleaning it first.

Another question, how much of the fur gets into carpet? I have hardwood floors right now but I live in a rental. My husband and I will be buying a house next year, would carpet be ok if I vacuum it every weekend? If Porter keep on shedding on the couch and can't stay off it, I might just have to crate him.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm actually allergic to dogs. I've had asthma since I was a kid, but it's well under control and I've been doing allergy shots for 15 years (off and on). So the dog doesn't bother me - maybe just a little itching in the eyes.
BUT, that doesn't mean that one day it won't, so I'm pretty anal when it comes to cleaning the house. I don't want to trigger the allergy so I make sure Squishy gets a good brushing at least 3 times a week.
Also, everyday when I get home from work (after a 20-30 minute belly rub and kissing session with Squishy) I vacuum all the rooms Squish was in during the night and day, including the couch. We keep her restricted to the laundry room, kitchen and living room - so it's only 3 areas to clean daily. I know that's not a option time-wise for everyone, but it really seems to keep the fur at bay. Right now she doesn't seem to be shedding much at all, but during the fall and I imagine in spring I'll be vacuuming twice a day to keep all that fur off the couch and everything else.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Basically the only things that *reduce* (not stop) shedding are frequent brushing (like daily) and a healthy diet.

The only thing I can suggest for the couch is to put a cover over it and take the cover off when you actually want to sit on it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Anabelle actually hardly sheds at all. Harley, on the other hand, has a thick long coat of a corgi. Every single piece of clothing I own has a layer of white fur on it after wearing it once. We keep blankets over the couch for them to lay on.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Leather couches are way easier to keep clean than upholstered. But when my dogs were allowed on the leather sofa, I still put a blanket over it to keep them from marking up the leather (it's "distressed" looking and very easily distressed!). Wood is easier to keep clean than carpet, but I worry too much about them hurting their backs from slipping so I have carpet. I would recommend you get a carpet that does not have loops, which not only traps hair but also can catch on the dogs' nails. I have a Dyson vaccuum, which does a much better job of picking up hair and dander than my old Hoover. And I have a Furminator brush that works great. I keep an empty kleenex box nearby to dispose of the hair when I brush Lightning. The plastic "lips" that make up the opening are great at pulling the hair off your fingers and keeping the hair in the box. Those are my tips. (And I don't consider myself anal at all about hair!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Basset fur

First try the Furminator to remove loos hair from the dog, then The Pledge hair remover tool really works but you have to use it everyday and of course the good old dyson really helps a bunch!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank for all the great tips from everyone! Maybe its time for me to get a furminator. I have other brushes and they seem to remove a lot of fur. I was little worried regarding the furminator because I saw something on animal planet about how it can cut a lot of the fur off (and the animal would get cold or something). But maybe its time for me to order one from amazon since many people seem to use it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We just went through the shedding of his puppy coat and now hardly notice when a little hair is shed... but I love the kleenex box idea!

We do weekly baths, brushing almost daily and couch covers that get removed for guests. Generally, I take a lint roller almost everywhere!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Leather is easier to keep clean, but I did have a problem with my doggies getting rambunctious and they (I'm not sure which one) put a long 3-claw scratch on one of the cushions that I now have to have repaired because it is deep. With Bassets being big dogs and having big claws that's a risk. However that being said I still prefer leather to upholstery by far. The hair does not stick at all, WAY easier to clean and we got a cover for the seat to protect the cushions from further damage. We put a shock mat on the couch to keep them off too, but as soon as we take it off they go right back up. LOL The mat was there for 6 weeks or so, no problems, but as soon as they see I've moved it, up they go. :) Smart buggers! :) The puppy is just going to learn to assume the mat is always there, so hopefully she won't ever try the couch.

Oh, and the "shock" isn't bad at all. We put our hands on it accidentally all the time and it's like a tingle or if you bump your funny bone kind of tickle. Uncomfortable but not inhumane. My lab can't even feel it! What scares him off, is that it makes a high pitched noise as a warning first. They heard the noise and they boogied. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just ordered a furminator from Amazon along with a few grooming gloves. Hopefully these will help me with the shedding since its almost time to shed the thick winter coat. Fur-nados here we come!

·
Registered
616 Posts
The best way I've found to get fur off a cloth couch is to use a pair of rubber kitchen gloves that are slightly damp. It works really really well and it's super cheap. We also cover our couches with an old sheet with some towels underneath to help catch any slobber. When company comes over we just take them off. But we other wise just live with the dog hair (and in our case cat hair). It's the joys of pet ownership!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts