Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking into adopting a basset. He sounds like a sweet dog (around 6yo). This is one breed I have never had so trying to research. I came across comments like smelly/drooling/snoring/disobedient etc but I thought best to ask all of you what it is you love about the breed and if ALL of them have the above mentioned traits? Snoring might be a problem for us as we are light sleepers. The breed sounds great compared to many others that have problems with people or other dogs. Its important to us that our dog has a nice friend so have crossed alot of breeds off our list. We are older and live a quiet lifestyle although we like to hike and take long walks with our dog. I know bassets follow their nose but is it possible to enjoy a nice walk with them? When walking our dog (shepx)she doesn't pull but could I guess if paired with one that does :confused:Thanks for any information :) brit

·
Registered
973 Posts
This is my experience with the 8 y/o basset I have...

Smelly: definitely true. You get used to it but she definitely has her own odor.
Drooling: Not any more than any other similar size dog I've had.
Snoring: Usually not bad. I am also a very light sleeper but most times she doesn't wake me up. I'd say maybe once a week she wakes me up but I just go over and make her move and change positions and that solves it. It's more like loud breathing most of the time. She is sleeping next to me right now and I can't hear her over my computer.
Disobedient: Yes and no. Bassets are very food driven and will do just about anything for a piece of hot dog. On the other hand, if they don't see a reward or they see something else more interesting, good luck... They're not stupid, they just don't have an overwhelming desire to "please" like another dog might.

In regards to walks, we are both young, but we are quiet and lazy. Anabelle can't go on long walks; she can usually only make it the length of our block.

All that said, our basset is an absolute joy. I have never known a dog more affectionate and loving than our basset.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for responding so honestly and kindly. I am not fussy to sounds like they are no worse than any dog other than following their noses which is to be expected from the breed. Thanks again for your help:)
This is my experience with the 8 y/o basset I have...

Smelly: definitely true. You get used to it but she definitely has her own odor.
Drooling: Not any more than any other similar size dog I've had.
Snoring: Usually not bad. I am also a very light sleeper but most times she doesn't wake me up. I'd say maybe once a week she wakes me up but I just go over and make her move and change positions and that solves it. It's more like loud breathing most of the time. She is sleeping next to me right now and I can't hear her over my computer.
Disobedient: Yes and no. Bassets are very food driven and will do just about anything for a piece of hot dog. On the other hand, if they don't see a reward or they see something else more interesting, good luck... They're not stupid, they just don't have an overwhelming desire to "please" like another dog might.

In regards to walks, we are both young, but we are quiet and lazy. Anabelle can't go on long walks; she can usually only make it the length of our block.

All that said, our basset is an absolute joy. I have never known a dog more affectionate and loving than our basset.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts

Unless their is something orthopediacally wrong with the individual dog a basset should be able to sustain a long walk. However many if not are asked to so are not in physical to do so to start off. but with a bit of conditioning the can endure 10-15 miles a day no problem.

The can hunt for hours on end which is general done at a pace faster than a human walk, have taken mine backpacking and canoeing for weeks at a time. One was even a teenager at the time.

As for never allowing a basset off leash is a bit of a conundrum. I understan the sentiment as is nothing bad can happen when you maintain control of the dog. However it is limiting to the dog. While hunit unlike beagles the basset hunts fairly close to humans that is they stay in the area they do not wander to far unless they are not prperly broken to trash game like deer. In which while run for miles in a sgtraight line. Rabbit circle. So in reality a basset can be safley walked off leash provided it is done so in a safe environment far from roads and other hazzard and the dog has a reliable recall.

DEPOSITS INTO THE PERFECT RECALL ACCOUNT

Really reliable recall or Fido, PLEASE come home!

Also keep in mind the traits of the indvidual dog are more important than the traits of the breed. While most bassets are not extreme droolers their is the occasional male that is. etc. The extremes of the individual characteristcs will wander outside the paradigm of the breed on a consistent basis.

I think the following video answers the question on walks an trainability than anything I can say
Mariah

·
Registered
973 Posts
We don't push her athletic/endurance limits because she is still heartworm positive. I imagine if you adopt one that is overall healthy and exercise him he could go further than Anabelle can.

·
Registered
774 Posts
smelly/drooling/snoring/disobedient: I don't notice that our basset smells, we have 2 Chihuahua mixes and the basset and I don't notice that she smells any more or less than the other two. We don't have any drooling issues more than any big dog I've ever had. Snoring, yes, she does snore. Personally we find it adorable, but if you are worried it isn't very loud.

As far as obedience goes, 'Nolli has learned basic commands like sit, down and roll over really quickly and easily with food treats. She is very clever in knowing when you have a treat or not and won't do much without that incintive. She does know "Off" and "Stop" and follows those without a treat.

I've said this in other posts but it bears repeating, this dog is by and far our favorite. Don't tell my other two!! She is the dog in our house that everyone comes to see, she greets everyone from family to total strangers with so much joy. She is just all around a good and lovable dog. I would definitely recomend a basset to anyone who is a dog lover anyway and has some patience to put in.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Is the dog's coat kind of greasy? If so, then yes, he might be smelly. I had both kinds, a smelly basset and a sweet-smelling basset (relatively speaking). So it depends on the dog. People say some bassets smell like Fritos. So if you don't mind the smell of Fritos, you won't mind the smell of the dog :) Bassets aren't really disobedient, they just march to their own set of rules. I have learned it's easier to change my behavior than theirs. But try to find out if the dog is a chow hound. Lightning will do anything for a treat, and that helps A LOT. I would describe bassets less as droolers than as drool flingers. They typically don't drool constantly but will shake their heads vigorously, thereby flinging drool where ever it lands. Lightning had to have a molar removed, and he now drools more. But he's 12. The reason to have a basset is that they are the sweetest, cutest dogs in the world. They are big bags of love. I think you'll enjoy the dog.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here is my experience with my two (a 5yr old Ringo and a 1 yr old Ella)

Smelly: not necessarily smelly but they have a distinct odor to them, Ringo more than Ella, you get use to it and it isn't very bad IMO

Drooling: Ringo yes but not that bad, mainly just after he drinks or around food and Ella doesn't drool at all really

Snoring: neither of mine snore, breathe heavy sometimes but that's it

Disobedient: I wouldn't use that word, I would use the word stubborn more. Mine are both very food driven so if I have treats I have their full attention unless there is a rabbit near by which always trumps over food here :) We got Ella as a puppy and were able to teach her all the basic commands and she does pick up on things rather quick. Ringo we just got in March and he doesn't know as many things and is definitely slower to pick up on things but he's never a trouble maker so I don't have any problem with him.

Walking: both mine are big on smelling so walks can be frustrating, mainly if I am trying to walk both at the same time though. But if you go for hikes in woodsy areas they are fine cept they are always smelling which I don't mind. With mine if I'm wanting to just go for a quick walk around the neighborhood I walk them in the street because other wise they are pulling and smelling the whole time. I use the Gentle Leader with Ella which helps her walking a lot too, I have much more enjoyable loose leash walks when she is wearing that

Both of mine are very friendly and very cuddly, they LOVE to snuggle and be close to me and are always excited to meet new people and dogs.

Of course dogs vary no matter the breed. Ella and Ringo are complete opposites pretty much Ringo is low energy and kind of lazy and easy going and Ella is hyper and curious and has ADD :) They are both wonderful dogs though and everyone that has met them loves them as well :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hmm... I find my mom's cavalier's far more smelly than my supposedly "Houndy smelling" bassets. They actually don't smell any more than most other breeds. Sometimes in summer they can get yeasty ears but as long as you clean them once a week (which takes all of a few minutes max) they are fine. As they get older they tend to have a bit more of a houndy odor to them but that seems to be true with any other breed as well. Drooly... well that depends on the dog... our boy drools quite a bit as he is loose lipped but our girl rarely ever does... she gets a bit drooly at shows though as she gets so excited. As for training they can be bull headed but you just need to find what works for them... most are very food driven so they can easily be taught with positive reinforcement (food). My girl learned all of her commands very quickly and is willing to do nearly anything for a bit of praise and perhaps a treat. Our boy will do any command you ask of him reguardless of reward, simply because you ask it. As for walking... they are more than capable of taking long walks but if the dog is in poor condition you may need to build up to longer ones like MikeyT stated. Bassets are a wonderful family dog that will be your lasting companion... you could not pick a more loving or lovably comical breed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am older, retired and lead a quite, peaceful life. I have two rescued Bassets......one six years old, the other is two. They are my exercise machines and we walk about three and a half miles most days. Belle the older Basset can be walked without a leash. She has lovely manners and will usually do whatever you ask her to do.....a true Southern Belle. However, there are some days Belle does not want to go for a walk and will sit down. Most of the time she will come when called but ever now and then....... she sits there, refusing to make eye contact or come. If she does this I feel like there is a reason....like not feeling good and do not make her go. So, yes Bassets can be stubborn. I could raise my voice and she would come but I figure what the heck anyone should be able to take a day off.
Emma is always eager to go but has to be on a leash. I think as she gets more mature she will be able to walk off a leash. For now I cannot trust her. She does pull some. When a squirrel or Gray Fox runs by she hits the end of the leash hard but what breed wouldn’t. Belle can be halted by voice command. Emma will work on voice command alone, in time....We have only had her about nine months.
The pace is a bit slow.......for we do stop to smell the Roses and other things not so delightful. I enjoy the walks as much as the dogs do.
Drooling.....yes they do....but not a lot. But we do get what we call “flung” on the walls. They will shake their heads and in the process...fling some drool on the wall. So, when we dust the house, we also take a damp rag and get the flung. Again there is not a lot of it but it does happen.
Smell........yes, my two can work up a smell. The smell is usually related to ears and means we have gotten lax about ear cleaning. A bath, a ear cleaning, wash their beds and the smell goes away. Unless they roll in something or meet a skunk....both of which have happened.
Snore...... has never been a problem. I could sleep thought an artillery duel but my wife is a very light sleeper and they do not bother her.
They have such a sweet nature, very social critters. I often have a house full of grand kids. I do not have to worry about anyone getting nipped. They get dress in doll clothing, get tackled, get walked by a four year old kid....well Belle does.... and the dogs love it. There are a lot of kids in the neighborhood who stick their hands through the fence to pet the dogs. They only get their hands licked. I worry more about the kids harming the dogs than the other way around....which is great.
Bassets will quickly adjust to your life style. If you are a couch potato they will be too. If you are very active they will love to be there with you. I have had Black labs, mutts, Red Bones and Walkers but my favorite is a Basset hound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts