Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I are looking into getting a basset hound for our family. We have a 15 yr old and a 5 and 4 year old. We are looking for a family ...child friendly dog. I want to make sure that we are making the right decision. We did find a nice breeder in Mass and are going up to see two puppies one is 5 months and the other 8 months. We were wanting a little bit of an older pup because of the kids. Is a basset the best for us with kids. If anyone has little ones please let me know how your basset is with the kids. Thanks

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Personnally I would avoid any dog regardless of breed with any child under the age of 4. Most dog bites occur with todlers because their actions and movements are unpredictable which puts any dog in a more defensive/fearful posture. Contrary to popular belief most dog bites are the result of fear. With young kids I would recommend an older dog rather than a puppy. Most younger childer react to the poor and obnoxious behavior of a puppy in a way that encourges more of the behavior, because the dog interprets their action as play. Getting an older dog also means it personality is less moldable, that is, if it is good with kids it will always be good with kids which is not the case with a younger dog (under two). Also, younger dogs explore the world with their mouths, which means biting, chewing and nipping. Most younger children can not deal with this in a way that does not exaserbate the problem.

Keep in mind these are just generalities, the specific children the maturity, play style etc all need to be taken into consideration along with the personality and play style of the dog. In general bassset are very good with kids. However, you need to keep in mind even though they are short they are not little dogs. they will out weigh younger children and can easily knock them over. Just another reason, I recommend an older dog.

Some caveats: Even though the breed in general is very good with childeren, it does not mean every dog is. If you are willing to consider an older dog there are two basset rescue organization in the area
New England Basset hound Rescue for which I have fostered and work at their major fundraising event

and colonial basset rescue which I have aquires a dog from in the past. They screen the dogs they have available and will not adopt a dog to you that was not appropriate for younger children.

Also keep in mind bassets are very social dogs and general do not do well when they are alone for prolonged periods of time. If in the future when the kids are in school and you are considering or have gone to work the dog may develop behavioral issues because it is being left alone, this is known as seperation anxiety. It can be minimized by making aragement to minmize the time length the dog is alone, or providing the dog with some form of additional companionship, it does not necessarily have to be another dog or human either.

I want to be clear the info provided is not intended to disuede you from getting a pup for the breeder,but rather to give you more info and options so you can make the best choice. You also have to keep in mind that any advice given here is based on breed generalities and averages. An individual dog is not an average it is and will devate from this. There are puppies that are more mellow, less active/hyper as well as older adults that bounce off the wall with frantic energy. You must temper any advice with what you learn about the particular dog through observation or the observation of others that you trust.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts