Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do basset's grow. I know they all grow at different rates but do they get longer or wrinklier as they age? At what age is a female typical done growing? Our Fred is 6 months and not very long or wrinkly will she get wrinkles with age or will she stay pretty smooth? Her parents were sorta wrinkly and the man she came from said wrinkles come with age. None of the other pups had wrinkles either.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ummm, they usually don't get more wrinkles as they grow,or saggier skin,or longer ears.Fred will grow more she is only at the half way mark,if her parents were not heavy fred will not be either, most likely. They can take a while to fully mature depending on their line(pedigree).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Both my boys did get quite a bit saggier with age, especially in the face and jowls. I found that while Lightning was as tall as he was going to get by about a year, he filled out over the course of the next two years. He was quite skinny (in the 45-lb range) until he was about three, and then he began to gain weight until I had to start limiting his food. His optimum weight is about 60 lbs. Stomps was a rescue and I didn't know much about his history before he came to me, but I doubt if he was even a full basset, so I wouldn't use him as an example. (Although he was the sweetest dog ever.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.