Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 month old puppy who just won’t walk on the lead or off the lead. He just sits down and stares at me. Tried treats and praise but he just eats the treat then stops again. Sometimes he is ok if we’re walking with a friends dog but most of the time not.
Please can someone help! Will this go on forever I am hoping it’s just a phase.

thank you

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
I am assuming that this issue is outdoors rather than indoor. If he was not exposed to outdoor at a earlier age he may be afraid of being outside, A basset's general reaction to stress/fear is to not move do nothing. you need to work on making him comfortable being outside by making it the best place to be. extra treat , dog play etc,

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 4 month old puppy who just won’t walk on the lead or off the lead. He just sits down and stares at me. Tried treats and praise but he just eats the treat then stops again. Sometimes he is ok if we’re walking with a friends dog but most of the time not.
Please can someone help! Will this go on forever I am hoping it’s just a phase.

thank you
Oh gosh our puppy did that too. Part of them training you. My husband kept picking her up and carrying her back. Patience. It took her 6 months before she would complete a block.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh gosh our puppy did that too. Part of them training you. My husband kept picking her up and carrying her back. Patience. It took her 6 months before she would complete a block.
Thank you that makes me feel better! He’s 5 months now and not improved much. Tried treats / toys all sorts. Did it just change over night, did you need to do anything?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Jinx did this too. It use to take us an hour to walk 1/2 mile, now she’s a year old and will walk 3 in the same time frame. I would put peanut butter on a long wooded spoon and hold it near Jinx’s nose to get her moving. It may work for you. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts