Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a recent owner of an 8 month old male basset. We’ve had him since he was 4 months old and his boys have recently dropped. His papers indicate both his parents were CKC registered. I’ve been doing some reading and it seems, if he’s going to be studded out we should introduce him relatively sooner than later. If I go forward with trying to find him his first “girlfriend” I’m trying to determine what questions should I be asking or what to even look for? Im totally new at this and looking for some guidance. Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
First of all by CKC, do you mean Canadian KC, or the other registry which will basically register ANYTHING. Secondly, if he's only 8 months right now, forget it. Basset males are not normally the 'finished article' until they reach at least 2 YEARS so right now, you should be concentrating on showing him, and hopefully winning a lot, at which point other exhibitors MAY, and only may, be interested in making you an approach to use him on their equally successful bitches (although more often people will go to his successful sire!). And you should be ready to reject some, perhaps most, as not every bitch will be suitable for your dog, from the pedigree information and what you can see re his faults, visually. Please drop this idea because finally, once you have allowed this to happen, you will have opened Pandora's Box and he will be looking for more bitches to mate with = being a darned nuisance. This is NOT about 'girlfriends', by a long way.

Yes, knowledgeable breeders will often give a promising male a start on one of their own bitches by around a year, if only to see what he can throw (from a carefully chosen bitch), but then concentrate on a show career. And even then, not all successful show dogs make successful stud dogs!! And many are never offered at general stud either.

I'm not intending to be negative, but at only 8 months, the last thing you should be considering is finding him a girlfriend. Breeding should be a serious undertaking and only the best quality animals, used within a breeding programme. Sorry. You'd have to have the non-breeding endorsement all reputable breeders put on immature stock they sell, lifted by the original breeder, at which point you should ask them for information about this.

Just to add, I'm assuming by boys, you mean testicles (balls) in which case they should have dropped long before aged 4 months, not 'recently'!!!

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
Also it works the other way round. If he were a quality stud you would have breeders knocking on your door to use him. You would want to show his "value" to others by showing him in conformation or Field events

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all by CKC, do you mean Canadian KC, or the other registry which will basically register ANYTHING. Secondly, if he's only 8 months right now, forget it. Basset males are not normally the 'finished article' until they reach at least 2 YEARS so right now, you should be concentrating on showing him, and hopefully winning a lot, at which point other exhibitors MAY, and only may, be interested in making you an approach to use him on their equally successful bitches (although more often people will go to his successful sire!). And you should be ready to reject some, perhaps most, as not every bitch will be suitable for your dog, from the pedigree information and what you can see re his faults, visually. Please drop this idea because finally, once you have allowed this to happen, you will have opened Pandora's Box and he will be looking for more bitches to mate with = being a darned nuisance. This is NOT about 'girlfriends', by a long way.

Yes, knowledgeable breeders will often give a promising male a start on one of their own bitches by around a year, if only to see what he can throw (from a carefully chosen bitch), but then concentrate on a show career. And even then, not all successful show dogs make successful stud dogs!! And many are never offered at general stud either.

I'm not intending to be negative, but at only 8 months, the last thing you should be considering is finding him a girlfriend. Breeding should be a serious undertaking and only the best quality animals, used within a breeding programme. Sorry. You'd have to have the non-breeding endorsement all reputable breeders put on immature stock they sell, lifted by the original breeder, at which point you should ask them for information about this.

Just to add, I'm assuming by boys, you mean testicles (balls) in which case they should have dropped long before aged 4 months, not 'recently'!!!
Thank you very much for your feedback. You shared lots of good information. As a new owner to a Basset, I’m not even certain I want to breed him. He is a beautiful dog, which is primarily why I was considering it but need more information. All our previous dogs have been females, so his testicles may have already dropped but seem to have grown substantially lately. I assumed that meant they had recently dropped. I’m trying to determine if breeding him is even an option since we don’t have his parents DNA. It is the registry that registers anything. It’s my understanding, they may register ANYTHING, but that’s doesn’t necessarily mean the dog isn’t a pure breed; there just isn’t any records. In my research of his breed, he does not have any flaws that would make me feel he isn’t a pure breed and would like to get him DNA tested. Again, I’ve never done that before, so I’m not certain if it’s helpful or necessary. When you referred to showing him, I think of Westminster when I hear that and it’s not a direction I’m interested in. I would love to send you a couple pictures of him if you’re willing to point me in a right direction. We have always spayed our females so neutering may be the best option. Again, thank you for your help and feedback.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Thank you very much for your feedback. You shared lots of good information. As a new owner to a Basset, I’m not even certain I want to breed him. He is a beautiful dog, which is primarily why I was considering it but need more information. All our previous dogs have been females, so his testicles may have already dropped but seem to have grown substantially lately. I assumed that meant they had recently dropped. I’m trying to determine if breeding him is even an option since we don’t have his parents DNA. It is the registry that registers anything. It’s my understanding, they may register ANYTHING, but that’s doesn’t necessarily mean the dog isn’t a pure breed; there just isn’t any records. In my research of his breed, he does not have any flaws that would make me feel he isn’t a pure breed and would like to get him DNA tested. Again, I’ve never done that before, so I’m not certain if it’s helpful or necessary. When you referred to showing him, I think of Westminster when I hear that and it’s not a direction I’m interested in. I would love to send you a couple pictures of him if you’re willing to point me in a right direction. We have always spayed our females so neutering may be the best option. Again, thank you for your help and feedback.
I'd not bother with a DNA. I've known people who have done this, with full knowledge of what's in his pedigree, yet the DNA results came back suggesting it was anything but 'purebred'!! What you need to do (and Mikey is right - it's usually people with good bitches who come to you for a stud, provided they feel your dog is excellent, with something to offer both their bitch, and the breed. If your dog isn't AKC registered, you can't show him in conformation classes in any case.

Again you don't need to castrate him, for other than a medical problem, but you also don't need to think about advertising him at stud and make him start looking for other bitches to mate with.

I'm quite prepared to look at pictures of your dog of course but as a judge, I always want to see the movement, as well as the 'stacked' picture! I well remember going to a Specialty show across the Canadian/American border and seeing a ring full of beautiful stacked dogs in the Champions class. Then they moved ................................. !!

Please don't think I'm dumping on your dog - I'm sure you love him which is where it should begin, and end.

There is NO 'flawless' dog, let alone Basset. They all have faults but some more major than others. ;)

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
"Again you don't need to castrate him, for other than a medical problem, "

The purponderance of evidence is nuetering is more harmful to health than leaving intact.
"On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs, especially immature male dogs, in order to prevent future health problems. The number of health problems associated with neutering may exceed the associated health benefits in most cases. "

I would suggest the only reason to neuter is for the few behavior issues that nuetering can help with ie Marking,.

DNA can not establish wether a dog is purebred or not. Ther Breeders that seek out stud in US want an AKC registered dog because it is the registry that they use and AKC only accepts AKC registered dogs and dogs from foreign registries they have reprocity agreements with. AKC requires there own DNA test for foreign born dogs and frequently used studs and A.I. frozen sperm and multiple sire liters, this is only for establishing perentage of future liters

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I would suggest the only reason to neuter is for the few behavior issues that nuetering can help with ie Marking,.

DNA can not establish wether a dog is purebred or not. Ther Breeders that seek out stud in US want an AKC registered dog because it is the registry that they use and AKC only accepts AKC registered dogs and dogs from foreign registries they have reprocity agreements with. AKC requires there own DNA test for foreign born dogs and frequently used studs and A.I. frozen sperm and multiple sire liters, this is only for establishing perentage of future liters
Castration - well we had to have two of our oldies done when they developed prostate problems. Ie. A medical problem. And that (medical problem) would, if relevant, include testicles that haven't appeared as they do need to be found, and removed to prevent cancer. NOT applicable in the case of your boy.

Again DNA testing isn't reliable in terms of being purebred. As I've already said. There was a point when the UK KC would allow a bitch to be mated by two different sires in one season, said to be useful in breeds with small gene pools to avoid that bitch needing to produce a litter from two different seasons. In that case, the puppies would need to be DNA tested to see which puppy came from which sire. NOT, incidentally, something I'd be happy with even if the Basset gene pool was small!! I'm not sure if the UK KC is still promoting this idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts