Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here. We just got a new basset hound puppy about a week ago. She is 14 weeks old. This is our first experience with a basset hound. We also have a 5 year old golden retriever, that we've had since he was 9 weeks old.

Our basset has a terrible and nasty habit of eating her feces. At first, I thought she was just smelling it, like many dogs do, but I was shocked and disgusted when she actually starting licking and chomping it. So for now, we have to watch her very carefully whenever we take her out, to make sure she doesn't get a hold of it.

Can anyone tell me why she is doing this? Is it some kind of deficiency? Just a bad habit? Most importanly, will she grow out of it? And, can it hurt her to eat it, like make her sick? It's very disturbing for me and I can't imagine it is pleasant for her either. I just pray that she will eventually grow out of it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
There's good news and bad news. The good news is this is often a puppy thing, and goes away as the dog matures--we saw is disappear at about one year in the puppy poop eater. The bad news is that some times it doesn't go away. ! There doesn't seem to be any fix, at least that I know of, other than getting to the poop before they do, and picking it up. Out of seven hounds, we had one hound that did it throughout his life, another thaat only indulged up to about one year. The other five weren't interested (thank heavens). I'll be interested to follow posts to this thread to see if there's a cure I missed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our puppy did this until she was about 3 months old. At 3 months, our vet recommended we take her off of puppy food, and when we changed her food (went from Eukanuba puppy to Nutro natural adult) she quit eating her poop.

One theory is that a food with mostly digestable ingredients will result in stool that seems less like the originial food. Don't know if this is true or not, or if Rosie just grew out of poop eating.

Good luck, I found this nauseating as well...did NOT want any doggy kisses from that mouth! :roll:

·
Registered
939 Posts
i have used quality food that was highly digestable and have not had a problem with this,also cleaning it up as fast as you can is a big help.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your advice. I took her to the vet today for her booster shots and told him what was going on, this is what he said to me.

I asked if she would grow out of it and he said, more than likely, she would grow into it, meaning it would get worse over time. He told me that he had a couple of dogs that used to do it and then explained how he cured them of this NASTY habit.

He said to take a cayenne pepper and put it inside the poop. She would quickly learn that it doesn't taste good and stop trying to eat it. However, he did say to be careful because he's heard of a few dogs that actually liked the taste of the pepper and got sick from eating to much of it.

I guess it is worth a shot. When I am able to, I always pick up the poop before she can get to it, but I can't always be there and would really just feel better not having to worry about it.

I'll let you know how the pepper works. Thanks again for the advice and the knowledge that I am not alone in this. I have never had a dog that did this, nor have I seen one do this, so it was kind of scary. I thought something was really wrong with her.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Maggie Mae did this for years!!!! Disgusting but true! The pepper didn't seem to bother her at all. The only thing that stopped it was "Bitter Apple". I would wait until she pooped, have my Husband distract her with something and spray the poop with the Bitter Apple. We would casually leave her to her "thing" and she the first time she tasted it, she thrashed her head all around and went looking for the water bowl, which I removed! After that she would sniff it, smell the stuff and go on. Finally, she lost interest. She will eat onions, peppers, dirt, stones but HATES that stuff!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts