Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and hoping for some advice.

I have an 8 month old puppy named Bailey. This is my first Basset and she is quite a challenge!
Some things she's very good at (housebroken since 4 months old, only one or two accidents since, sleeps through the night, obeys all the basic commands) but other things not so much.

The main problem now is chewing. She has plenty of toys to chew on but if I am not watching she will go after the furniture, rugs, my clothing, even the wall! The main concern now is although she sleeps quietly through the night in her crate, she has started chewing her towels in the crate. I leave plenty of toys in there that are safe for her to chew when unsupervised but the towels are all ripped up. This morning I found a clump of towel she had thrown up and I am concerned that this could cause a blockage. I feel like I have to remove the towels now and let her sleep on the hard plastic floor of the crate. I hate to do that because it won't be comfortable but the only other option is to let her sleep in bed with me which I wasn't quite ready to do.

Is it ok to let her sleep in a crate with no soft bedding? Should I try letting her in my bed instead? She is due to be spayed in a few weeks so I will have to have her sleeping with me until she's healed up anyway.

Any tips? I want her to have a place she is happy sleeping but don't want to do anything that endangers her obviously.

This is a pic of her. I love her to death but like I say she is a challenge.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
It may or may not be something the dog with out grow with age. You have done the Right thing by limiting the access of the dog to chew on inappropriate objects. Mosty puppies out grow it but I kmow a few that will always distroy any bedding if they are allowed to have it. Allowing the dog in your personal bed risks the very real possibilty they destroy

An Option for sleeping arrangement Is an x-pen and a Kuranda dog bed. Kuranda Dog Beds® | Chew Proof Dog Beds we use these in all our kennels

on the spay I personally would wait until fully mature 18-24 months

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agree--kennel without any destructible items (he should be sleeping anyway :)) and check teeth, food intake (is she getting enough). I would not let her on the bed after surgery--kennel helps restricting until healed. We had one rescue, 6 mos old, who would go for the corners on our coffee table!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I removed towels and bought a new Kong raft type mat. It's very sturdy and I sprayed the edges with bitter yuck to discourage chewing. After almost a week of her sleeping on it, no chewing. She also has her hard rubber toys in there which she can't eat. The first night with the new mat she cried for an hour but has gotten used to it and back to sleeping thru the night again.

She has just started her first heat so the spaying will have to be postponed anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you do decide to let her into your bed there is no going back. They are big cuddlers and all three of mine liked sleeping under the covers sucked up next to me ( or even on top of me if I let them).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts