Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally came here for advice on puppy biting and it was helpful. Thanks to everyone that posted, but it's been years since the last one so I made a freshy.

1. tried transference - giving her something else to bite - but you have to keep doing it.
2. give her rawhides and bones, to dull her teeth and help teething - makes bites less painful.
3. massage her gums - she loves it, and I can tell it helps with the teething pain,
4. letting her mouth my hand - she stopped biting hard, and if I don't pull my hand out too quick, no one gets hurt...

5. All time winner to keep your Basset or any other dog biting you is, Tropical Strength Mosquito Spray (with no DEET) - works 100% - Not a lot, only for a few days, I spray it on the counter and use my fingertip to dab it on my wrists, back of my hands, ankles and sided of my knees (shorts), and it works 100%. If you don't want it on you, spray it onto a tissue and put it under a watch or rubber band on your wrist or in your pocket. If there is somewhere you want to discourage the pup from going, leaving a tissues with the spray on it, stops them in their tracks. You can spray it on furniture legs or spray your garbage can/bin.

At first I was skeptical thinking the spray would do harm to her sniffer. but the reality is, after a quick distant sniff, its all over. There is no, never has been, any prolonged contact with the spray.

Dog Dog breed Liver Collar Carnivore

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiya, I was just doing yardwork and noticed she didnt like it. so onto the computer to check ingredients and it seems ok. Recommend to my niece with 2 big dogs that nip at the kids,, it worked, they stopped,, after 2 days,, she, we, them, us they, didnt need it anymore,,, dogs stopped nipping... hurray

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the videos... going out on my own, and maybe should have mentioned this in the main post,,, teaching puppy's anything is impossible if you havent learned to communicate with them, and them you... this means talking to them and letting them become familiar with your habits, emotions, expressions and common word usage... takes about 2 weeks, then one can go into teaching bite inhibition, house training, whatever?
example,, when she acts up now i simply ask "Outside?" and that does the trick.
Pups instinctively want to please you, so its necessary to teach them how to read you,, things become easier after that..
I reckon...

Sounds stoopid, i talk to my dog(s) all the time,, have conversations with them about everything,, after awhile they build a vocabulary, you can see it in their eyes, and its easier to train them.... jus sayin....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts